Senior League team falls in East Regional

WEST DEPTFORD, N.J. — Coach and Acadian Youth Sports Director Kyle McKim knew that the Acadians faced no small challenge in travelling down to the East Regional Tournament here.

Unfortunately, the task proved too much once again, as the Acadians lost both their games in the double-elimination tournament.

The team departed on Thursday afternoon from Bar Harbor and played their first game on Friday afternoon against Rhode Island.

Rhode Island

The Acadians’ trip started on a sour note with a loss to Rhode Island on Friday afternoon. The team trailed 3-0 after two innings, before Rhode Island tacked on another two runs to make it 5-0 after the third. From there, it became one of those games where nothing goes right, as the Acadians fell 20-0.

“Rhode Island was a very fast team,” McKim said, “It started off with a little bit of nerves, and then snowballed into being overwhelmed. Rhode Island was a very good team, but we didn’t have an answer for how overwhelmed the kids were.”


In the second game, it seemed that the Acadians might pull off a victory, but the team fell victim to a Connecticut comeback, losing by just one run scored in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Both teams entered the game with one loss, as Connecticut had been defeated by Maryland 6-4 on Thursday evening.

The team came out gunning, with Stanley Grierson scoring in the bottom of the first inning on a single from Alden Fournier. Riley Swanson helped the cause in the second inning, rifling a double and then scoring on Jose Chumbe’s single.

McKim was very please with the way the team started. “It was a tough first game. But they were able to bounce back really well against a very good Connecticut team. We started off great, really hitting the ball, which we didn’t do the day before.”

Connecticut wasn’t going away however, tying the game in the top of the third. The Acadians took the lead again two innings later, when Fournier collected his second and third RBI’s, scoring Grierson and Chumbe. Once again, Connecticut answered, scoring two runs in the top of the sixth.

This time, the Acadians didn’t have an answer, and Connecticut scored the winning run in the seventh inning. Seth Clark started the game on the mound, allowing two earned runs and striking out five. Swanson went the final three innings, allowing three hits, and striking out eight.

“It was one of those games where the ball bounces one way, we win, the other, we lose,” said McKim.

“The way the kids bounced back [from the loss] and the way they played was just as good as a win to me. They definitely proved they could play with anybody. I mean, we as coaches believed in them the whole time, but they needed to prove it to themselves.”

Due to their late entry into the regional tournament, the team had just two days to plan the journey to New Jersey. A GoFundMe page was created to solicit help from the community, which responded in spectacular fashion. Thirty contributions over four days helped to raise over $3,000 to assist the team with travel expenses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.