To the Editor:
It would be a tragedy for the world if a nuclear deal with Iran, seemingly in sight with current negotiations, is derailed. I am referring to Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s current crude attempt to control American foreign policy, facilitated by the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.
This is another example of the wrong-headed Republican approach to a multitude of issues that might be largely epitomized as the “The Republican Ten Commandments.”
- Global warming is a hoax.
- Same sex marriage and abortion are unacceptable.
- The rich should be taxed as little as possible.
- Torture by the government is OK.
- Subsidize the fossil fuel industry as opposed to the development of renewable energy sources.
- Demonize and eliminate labor unions and collective bargaining.
- Oppose gun control laws.
- Always oppose Democrats’ initiatives and policies.
- Spending for war and armaments needs no controls.
- Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are socialistic and should be dismantled or privatized.
God help us if such thinking is ever embraced by the majority of Americans.