Smoking danger



BAR HARBOR — Responding to reports of a fire at the rear of a Rodick Street apartment building Saturday, firefighters found a burned mattress and charred and melted siding on the building. The fire was apparently caused by unextinguished cigarette butts, firefighters said.

Residents reportedly had been smoking on the building’s fire escape, where charred areas were observed on wooden components.

Firefighters contacted the building owner to express concern. They plan to meet to discuss the incident further. Tenants were reportedly instructed by email to smoke away from the building.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.