Two three-car crashes

TRENTON — Three vehicles were involved in a rear-end collision at 7:30 a.m. Friday on the Thompson Island Bridge, which snarled commuter traffic for hours.

Sheriff’s Deputy Zach Allen said motorists had been slowing down for the Law Enforcement Special Olympics run that morning.

“People were just slowing down, and one car rear-ended another, which caused that car to rear-end the first person,” Allen said.

Ella Reilich-Godino, 19, of North Carolina reported being distracted and did not see vehicles in front of her slowing down for the runners. Her 1998 Subaru Forester collided with the rear end of a 2008 Subaru Outback driven by Julie Harris, 56, of Trenton. The first collision caused Harris’ Outback to strike a 2003 Subaru Outback driven by Juliette Hall, 55, also of Trenton.

Reilich-Godino’s Forester proceeded across the oncoming lane of traffic and hit the guardrail after colliding with the other two cars, according to reports. She reported minor knee pain but did not want to be taken to the hospital. All vehicles were towed from the scene.

The deputy said there was one lane open for alternating traffic while the accident scene was cleared, which is why it took so long for traffic to disperse. It was 9:45 a.m., more than two hours after the crash occurred, before Allen was able to clear the scene.

The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office received a call around 2:30 p.m. on June 3 from a Vermont woman traveling on Bayside Road in Trenton. While driving, the woman said she saw an older man with what looked like blood on his shirt. When police checked on the resident, the man said he had been staining his shed, and the paint had gotten on his shirt, according to the report.

Two vehicles were towed from an accident on Bar Harbor Road on June 4 around 8:15 a.m. Sean Murphy, 57, of Ellsworth, the driver of a 2010 Honda car, told police he was looking out his window when his vehicle hit the rear of a 2014 Toyota SUV driven by Rosalind Lewis, 73, of Bar Harbor. Lewis had stopped so that a car in front of her could turn, according to reports. Both vehicles had significant damage, and both drivers refused medical treatment, police said.

Police received a report on June 4 around 2:40 p.m. about an accident in the parking lot of Mainely Vinyl on Bar Harbor Road in Trenton. Paul Blanchette, 72, of Connecticut was driving a 1995 Chevrolet Sportvan when it collided with a 2016 Ford F150 owned by Raymond Young, 51, of Hancock. Blanchette was backing up in the parking lot and told police he did not see the truck parked behind him. Blanchette’s Sportvan reportedly ran into the rear quarter panel of the truck. The collision caused minor damage to the van and reportable damage to the truck, but it was drivable. No injuries were reported.

The sheriff’s office received a report around 1:40 a.m. on Sunday about an intoxicated male who had left a Trenton residence in a vehicle. When deputies found the man at his residence, they advised him not to drive.

No one was injured and all the vehicles were drivable following a three-car accident on Bar Harbor Road around 12:30 a.m. on Sunday. A 2014 Chrysler sedan driven by Alyssa Farley, 17, of Lamoine reportedly hit the rear of a 2001 Toyota Tacoma driven by Scott Ouellette, 38, of Orono. That collision then caused Ouellette’s Tacoma to hit the rear of a 2010 Honda CRV driven by Ronald Milliken, 72, of Farmington, according to reports. Farley told deputies she was not able to stop in time.

Mount Desert

A resident reported vandalism to a fish house near Grover Avenue to police on Monday. The windows reportedly were broken at the property. Police are investigating the incident.

Copper piping was reported stolen from a seasonal residence on Northern Neck Road on Friday. The issue is under investigation.

On Monday morning, a 2007 GMC driven by Lucas Butler, 34, of Bar Harbor reportedly struck a deer on Route 102 near the Southwest Harbor town line. The deer was killed, and Butler’s vehicle sustained more than $1,000 in estimated damage. Butler was not injured.

Bar Harbor

After a traffic stop near the Bluffs early in the morning of June 5, Patrick Pringle, 52, of Kyle, Texas, was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence. Pringle reportedly was driving the wrong way on the one-way section of Eden Street. He was taken to the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth.

A 2000 Chevrolet driven by Weston Wade, 37, of Bar Harbor reportedly struck a 1999 Chevrolet driven by Malcolm Rubel, 70, of Minnesott Beach, N.C., on Cottage Street on June 6. Rubel reportedly was backing into a spot when Weston’s car bumped him from behind. A legally parked car was obscuring both drivers’ view, police said. No one was injured, and the cars both suffered minor damage.

Following a traffic stop on Dreamwood Hill, Joseph Kelly, 28, of Bar Harbor was arrested on charges of driving to endanger and criminal speeding just before midnight on June 6. He was bailed from the police station.

A rear axle reportedly broke off of a dump truck on June 7 on Route 3 near Salisbury Cove. The truck was driven by Dustin Murphy, 23, of Clifton. The axle damage caused the right side dual wheel assembly to fly into the woods off the side of the road, police said. The truck was towed.

On Friday, a person claiming to be Crystal Young, 32, of Eddington was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence. The woman reportedly was driving the wrong way on the one-way part of Eden Street near the Bluffs. She was released from the police station on bail.

Editor’s note: Marissa Ouellette, 32, of Fort Kent identified herself to police as Crystal Young, 32, of Eddington June 8 during a traffic stop that led to an OUI charge, with the result that Young’s name appeared in the police log in the June 14 edition of the Islander. Young has not been charged with any crimes. The case of false identity came to light this week and is included in the police log in the June 28 edition of the paper.

A Bangor man who reportedly refused to identify himself to police was arrested after reportedly trespassing in the Ledgelawn Cemetery Friday night. Robert J. Clark Jr., 27, was arrested on charges of criminal trespassing and refusing to submit to arrest and taken to Hancock County Jail.

No one was injured in a two-vehicle accident at the head of the island Friday where two northbound lanes merge. A 2004 GMC driven by William Hisler, 31, of Ellsworth reportedly struck the tire of a trailer being towed by a 2016 Chevrolet driven by James Scott, 59, of Hancock. Hisler failed to yield to Scott in the merge, police said. The only damage was rubber transfer from where Hisler’s vehicle struck the tire. No one was injured.

Following a traffic stop for reportedly running a stop sign on Mount Desert Street early Saturday, Dennis Walton, 55, of Dover, N.H., was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence. He was bailed from the police station.

A man and woman from Bangor were arrested following a shoplifting complaint from a Main Street business on Saturday. Duane McCarter, 39, of Bangor was charged with Class C theft, which is usually property more than $1,000 and less than $10,000. His charge was elevated to a felony due to prior convictions, according to police.

Rachel Gardner, 33, of Bangor, was arrested on a warrant for revoked probation. Both Gardner and McCarter were taken to Hancock County Jail.

A 2017 Toyota driven by Frank Lella, 77, of Bar Harbor reportedly backed into another vehicle on the Breakneck Road on Sunday. The Toyota was stopped at a stop sign before reportedly backing into a 2014 Honda driven by Erik Wanner, 22, of Bar Harbor. Both cars had some damage. No one was injured.

A reported fight on West Street Sunday night netted disorderly conduct charges for Wesley Libby, 31, of Bar Harbor, and Joshua Voke, 32, of Southwest Harbor. Both were bailed from the police station.

Southwest Harbor

Police had several incidents over two days with James Ohmeis, 27, of Southwest Harbor before he was arrested on Sunday on charges of burglary of a motor vehicle and theft.

According to police reports, calls were placed on Saturday around 7 a.m. from a car repair shop, another at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday from a convenience store and one more around 8:30 a.m. Sunday regarding Ohmeis, who allegedly was going through vehicles. That final call to police resulted in Ohmeis’s arrest, and he was transferred to Hancock County Jail.

Robert Wark, 19, of Southwest Harbor was pulled over by police around 11:45 p.m. on Monday for a loud exhaust and plate light out, according to reports. Subsequently, Wark was summonsed on a charge of possession of alcohol by a minor, police said.


A man from Southwest Harbor called police around 7:20 p.m. on Monday to report a battery had been stolen from his skiff in Seal Cove.

Acadia National Park

A 72-year-old woman reportedly was injured in a fall on the summit of Cadillac on June 1 but got on a tour bus before reporting the injury. A Bar Harbor ambulance met the tour bus at the Nature Center and transported the woman to MDI Hospital.

Also on June 1, a visitor at Seawall Campground was cited for reportedly failing to pay recreational fees at Seawall Campground.

Rangers and the Fire Crew responded to a ground fire on Schoolhouse Ledge Conservation Easement on June 2, along with multiple municipal fire departments. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

A vehicle was towed following a single-vehicle accident on Seal Cove Road on June 2. No injuries were reported.

Rangers cited a male, under 18, on a disorderly conduct charge on June 3 at Jordan Pond House.

A 24-year-old man was issued a ticket on June 3 for allegedly having alcohol on Echo Beach, where it is prohibited.

Someone camping at Gilley Field was warned for camping out of bounds on June 4 and was cited on a charge of possession of marijuana, which is illegal in the park.

One of the commercial businesses authorized to conduct business in the park was warned for violating the rules of their authorization on June 5 on Cadillac Mountain.

Rangers assisted a male visitor who became disoriented on Enoch’s peak on June 6.

A Colorado motorist was cited for unsafe operations on June 6 after a vehicle he was driving reportedly passed a bus and cyclist on a road curve.

A ranger located a teenager who had been reported missing at Schoodic on June 6.

UPDATE: This post has been updated to reflect more recent information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.