Transplanting shellfish

AUGUSTA — The Maine Department of Marine Resources is reminding clammers and municipal committees that any movement of sublegal product such as soft-shelled clam seed (less than 2 inches) requires a DMR permit.

This includes all wild and hatchery-sourced product. Towns must obtain their own permits in order to be in possession of sublegal product, and under no circumstances are they covered by any other entity’s permit or license. Towns are encouraged to prepare in advance by requesting transplant permits from the DMR for any planned activities.

Contact information for area biologists, transplant permit request forms and other information for municipal shellfish programs are available online at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.