Jack Martel, chief of the Southwest Harbor Fire Department, surveys the scene as firefighters clean up from extinguishing a fire Wednesday night inside a building at EMR, Inc.

Transfer station fire knocked down



SOUTHWEST HARBOR – Firefighters from Southwest Harbor and Tremont quickly extinguished a fire Wednesday night inside a metal building at EMR, Inc. on the Long Pond Road.

The fire in a building storing trash at the solid waste transfer station was reported around 9:15 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find a large pile of trash in a recently constructed building smoldering, Assistant Chief Tom Chisholm said at the scene.

Along with putting water on the fire, firefighters sprayed a heavy layer of compressed air suppression foam to ensure that the fire was out.

“We didn’t want to come back later,” Chisholm said.

Chisholm said there appeared to be no damage to the structure.

This is not the first fire at EMR. Trash in a building at the same location caught fire on several occasions, including in 2011 and 2006.

 

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.