Three in hot water after Jaguar burns

MOUNT DESERT — Three people are facing alcohol-related charges following a car fire early Sunday in Northeast Harbor.

According to police, a 17-year-old boy from Salt Lake City, Utah, was driving a 2013 Jaguar on Peabody Drive when the vehicle caught fire. The teen and his passenger, 19-year-old Charles Knox of Dedham, Mass., were able to get out safely before the vehicle was engulfed in flames.

That would have been bad enough, but during questioning, Officer Doug Brundrett suspected the pair had been drinking.

The 17-year-old, whose name is not being released because he is a juvenile, and Knox both were charged with illegal possession of alcohol by consumption. The juvenile additionally was charged with operating without a license.

Brundrett later went to a home in Seal Harbor where the pair allegedly had been drinking and issued Northrup Knox Jr., 63, also of Dedham, Mass., a summons charging him with furnishing a place for minors to consume alcohol.

Mount Desert firefighters extinguished the fire. The Jaguar is a total loss.

A well-being check Sunday on a man at the Northeast Harbor Marina led to his arrest.

Daniel Stewart, 32, of Belden, Miss., was arrested on a charge of violating the conditions of his release. Stewart allegedly had been consuming alcohol.

A child reported lost Monday at a Northeast Harbor business was reunited with family members by Officer Mike Allen.

No injuries were reported in a traffic accident Friday in Northeast Harbor.

Ruth Falt, 20, of Mount Desert was driving on Peabody Drive when her 2006 Chrysler struck the rear of a stopped 2015 Nissan driven by Guilio Vivoli, 63, of Italy.

Bar Harbor

Sgt. Christopher Wharff and Officer Tim Bland used the town’s police boat to race to the aid of the occupants of a sailboat that capsized Friday in Frenchman Bay.

The officers were able to rescue the two sailors from the water and tow their 17-foot catamaran to its mooring in Hulls Cove.

Finding a parking space in downtown Bar Harbor in the summer isn’t always easy, and tempers sometimes flare, as one man found out on Friday.

The man was standing in an empty parking space to save it for a driver he knew. Another driver, who wanted to use the space, used his vehicle to try and push the man out of the way and reportedly struck him.

No injuries were reported, no names released and no charges filed.

Another car-pedestrian accident occurred Sunday.

A woman from California sustained cuts and scrapes after she was struck by a vehicle as she was crossing Newton Way.

The driver, Francis Fry, 84, of Bar Harbor failed to see 27-year-old Nichelle Wyatt-Whyte and struck her with his 2009 Toyota. Fry was not charged.

A resident reported finding a threatening note Saturday on their property.

The message, which was placed under a rock in the person’s driveway, complained about late-night noise at the home and threatened to “kick their ass” before calling the police.

Two people were arrested for alleged drunken driving over the weekend.

On Saturday, Edward Collari, 38, of Hoover, Alaska, was arrested on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI).

The next day, Sunday, David Hamilton, 47, of Hudson, N.H., was arrested on an OUI charge after police received a report of an erratic driver.

A woman reported Aug. 3 that she had been the victim of unlawful sexual touching. The suspect is a man who lives in the same apartment building. The incident is under investigation.

People staying at a local campground called police Aug. 3 saying they were concerned about a person driving around wearing a Halloween mask. Police located the driver, determined it was a prank and warned the two people responsible about their behavior.

Two flaggers working construction along the Eagle Lake Road Aug. 2 reportedly got into a fight, police said. One of the workers was moved to another location.

The third time was not the charm for a Florida man whose dogs allegedly were running loose Aug. 3 in the Park Street area.

Police summonsed James Knoblock, 56, of Melbourne, Fla., on a charge of allowing a dog to run at large after he reportedly failed to heed warnings issued on July 19 and July 25.

Southwest Harbor

The rooster on the loose in Manset and bothering residents no longer has anything to crow about. The feathered felon has been captured and taken to an animal sanctuary. Still, the cavorting capon did manage to elude police one more time before being taken into custody.

Police received the most recent complaint about the rooster on Aug. 3, when a homeowner complained that the unwanted bird was back on his property. Officer Gary Caron responded and reported he “located the rooster but was unable to apprehend.”

The next day, Aug. 4, the homeowner had better luck. He, according to police, took the bird to the Trenton Wildlife Refuge.

An Ellsworth man was arrested Aug. 3 as the result of an investigation into a fight at the Seawall Trailer Park.

Dylan Joy, 22, was arrested on an assault charge.


The report Monday of a man who “didn’t seem right” and was acting intoxicated at the Bass Harbor Campground ended with the arrest of a 28-year-old resident.

The sheriff’s department received a report of a man passed out in the driver’s seat of a white pickup that had no license plates. Deputy Travis Frost investigated and arrested Nathaniel Sargent on a charge of violating the conditions of his release.

According to Frost, Sargent was in violation because he was out beyond his court-mandated curfew and because of his failure to notify authorities of a change of address and his refusal to submit to random testing for drugs or alcohol.

Jennifer Thurston, 24, of Tremont was arrested Aug. 4 on a charge of violating bail conditions as the result of a bail check by a sheriff’s deputy.


A driver and his passenger sustained minor injuries Sunday in a single-vehicle crash on the Goose Cove Road.

Cameron Westmoreland, 19, of Tremont was turning his 2009 Pontiac onto the Goose Cove Road from the Bayside Road when he reportedly lost control due, police said, to excessive speed. The vehicle left the road, rolled onto the driver’s side and hit a tree.

Westmoreland and his passenger declined medical treatment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.