Smokey fire extinguished



MOUNT DESERT — A faulty electrical outlet is believed to have caused an early morning fire Tuesday in a trailer in the village of Otter Creek.

According to Chief Mike Bender of the Mount Desert Fire Department, one of the occupants of the trailer awoke around 2 a.m., smelled smoke and called 911. There were working smoke detectors in the trailer, but the alarms had not yet sounded, Bender said.

Firefighters arrived at 18 Kings Park Way a short time later. There was no visible fire.

“We had smoke in the trailer and coming out from underneath,” Bender said, adding that it took a while to find the source.

Firefighters cut holes through the floor and discovered that an outlet installed under the trailer had malfunctioned and melted, igniting the underside of the flooring.

Two families were living in the trailer. Everyone got out safely, and they are believed to be staying with relatives, Bender said. The homeowner, Brandon Hooper, did not have insurance but is expected to repair the damage and move back in, the chief added.

According to Bender, Hooper theorized that lightning from a rainstorm an hour before the fire was detected might have caused a power surge that overloaded the outlet.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:30 a.m.

The Bar Harbor Fire Department, officers from the Mount Desert and Bar Harbor police departments and personnel from the Northeast Harbor Ambulance Service assisted at the scene, Bender said.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.