Restaurant evacuated for vent system fire



BAR HARBOR — A fire crew responded to Blaze on Main St. at dinner time on Thursday because of a fire in the hood system.

No one was injured in the fire that started and was contained in the hood ventilation system. When the fire department arrived, the restaurant had been evacuated. Main Street was briefly closed between Mount Desert Street and First South Street to give fire trucks room to operate.

Fire Chief Matt Bartlett said the department was at the Main Street restaurant for about an hour. Flames were contained within the hood system and did not spread to any other part of the building.

“Not really sure exactly what caught fire first,” said Bartlett, unable to determine if grease or creosote on the hood exhaust system was to blame.

“They were closed for the rest of the evening,” said Bartlett, adding the restaurant owners would need to repair the system before re-opening their doors.

“We’ll do an inspection prior to them opening,” he said.

This was the second incident of this nature at the restaurant, Bartlett said. Four years ago a fire crew was called to the location for a fire that started in the same place.

Apartments on the second floor of the building were checked by the fire department and found to be unoccupied during the incident.

Sarah Hinckley

Sarah Hinckley

Sarah Hinckley covers the towns of Southwest Harbor, Tremont and neighboring islands. Send story ideas and information to shinckley@mdislander.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *