Police log: Transfer station misstep corrected

MOUNT DESERT — Tires left at the transfer station were picked up again by the man who dumped them, after he was notified by police on Dec. 18 that disposing of tires at the transfer station was not allowed. Police had used security camera footage to identify the man’s vehicle.

No one was injured when a vehicle slid across the intersection of Eagle Lake Road and Sound Drive in snowy conditions around 11:30 p.m. Dec. 18. The 2013 Scion XD was operated by Zachary Evans, 27, of Southwest Harbor, who attempted to stop for the stop sign, but slid across the intersection and into a ditch. There was damage to the driver’s side of the vehicle, police said but it was drivable after it was winched out of the ditch by a tow truck.

Bar Harbor

Police notified power company Emera Maine of a fallen tree and power lines in the road on Indian Point Road past midnight on Dec. 16. An officer stayed to direct traffic until a crew from Emera removed the tree and got wires out of the road.

While patrolling downtown the morning of Dec. 16, an officer noticed that the doors of two separate downtown businesses had been damaged and notified the businesses. The damage appeared to have been caused by wind the previous evening.

A deer with broken legs was reported on Route 3 the morning of Dec. 17. An officer shot the injured animal and gave it to a resident on the deer list.

A verbal argument between a parent and minor child was reported the evening of Dec. 17 at a downtown residence. An officer helped deescalate the argument, according to reports, and left after the two were communicating calmly again.

A 2015 Chevy Silverado with a snowplow operated by operated by Stephen Labelle, 52, of Whiting was backing out of Kids Corner parking area onto Eden Street the morning of Dec. 18 when it reportedly struck an eastbound 2012 Chevy Cruz operated by Richard Farley, 59, of Ellsworth. The Chevy had damage to the driver’s rear side and trunk lid, but the truck had no visible damage. No injuries were reported.

The morning of Dec. 18, a woman walking her dog on Norway Drive was followed by another dog off-leash, according to reports. Arriving at the Route 3 intersection, the woman became concerned for loose dog’s safety and notified police. Police picked up dog, and returned it to its owner.

Employees of a Cottage Street bar called police when a customer caused a disturbance yelling profanities the evening of Dec. 18. The customer reportedly left on his own after being told that police were on the way. Police found the man and warned him not to return to bar.

A westbound 2001 Chevy Pickup operated by Eric Dellapietro, 31, of Southwest Harbor reportedly slid off Eagle Lake Road in icy conditions and struck a ledge of rock the morning of Dec. 19. The pickup was towed and Dellapietro was taken to the hospital in an ambulance with a leg injury.

Police were called when a man was seen getting out of a parked car with a rifle alongside Route 102 the afternoon of Dec. 19. Police determined the man was duck hunting, which is permitted in some areas of the island.

A deer walked into the road Route 102 near Hammond Lumber the evening of Dec. 19, and was reportedly struck by a southbound 2007 Honda Ridgeline operated by Matthew Valarik, 57, of Mount Desert. The Honda had front-end damage, but was drivable. No injuries were reported, and the deer ran off.

Early Friday morning, a southbound 2017 Kia Rouge operated by Vileta Pinkham, 39, of Ellsworth reportedly struck a deer crossing Main Street. The Kia was towed.

A Knox Road resident called police Friday evening upon seeing a “strange acting” raccoon out of concern that it could be rabid. The animal was gone when police arrived.

Southwest Harbor

Police received a report of a man walking on Main Street hollering and waving his arms on Dec. 17 just after noon. An officer patrolled the area, but was unable to find the man.

A woman called police midday Dec. 17 to report a family grave site at Mount Height Cemetary was desecrated. An officer took photos to document the incident that included a sticker being placed on a grave stone, according to police.

An officer stood by the evening of Dec. 18 while a man retrieved his belongings from a Clark Point Road residence he was moving out of because of relationship problems.

Police received a report of a vehicle operating erratically on the Carroll’s Hill portion of Main Street the morning of Dec. 19. An officer pulled the vehicle over and the driver said the erratic movement was because of the road conditions. The officer did not notice any signs of impairment, according to reports.


A man involved in a reported domestic dispute was arrested in the early morning hours Dec. 15 for an outstanding warrant after police investigated and concluded no one had been assaulted. Jamin Keene, 25, of Trenton was arrested on an outstanding warrant and taken to the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth.

A deputy conducted a well-being check on a woman after she reportedly made several late-night phone calls to the nursing home where her husband lives. Staff at the nursing home became concerned about her and asked the sheriff’s office to check on her. The deputy, who reported being familiar with the caller, went to her home, spoke with her and decided she was okay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.