Miguel Garcia PHOTO COURTESY OF HANCOCK COUNTY JAIL

Manslaughter suspect back in jail



ELLSWORTH — The Bangor man charged with manslaughter for a 2015 fatal crash in Bar Harbor is back in jail after having his bail revoked for new criminal conduct, according to Hancock County District Attorney Matthew Foster.

Miguel Garcia, 43, was booked into the Hancock County Jail on July 26. He had been free on bail since being arrested after his April 2016 grand jury indictment on single counts of manslaughter, aggravated criminal operating while under the influence, aggravated assault and reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon.

Foster said that a motion to revoke Garcia’s bail was filed in response to a single-vehicle accident July 24 in Bangor at the intersection of Glenwood Drive and Kenduskeag Avenue. Garcia was driving an unregistered vehicle that left the road and struck a utility pole and mailboxes. Bangor police charged him with violating the conditions of his release, two counts of criminal mischief, operating an unregistered vehicle and operating with false registration.

When Garcia was booked into the jail, he tested positive for opiates and other drugs, Foster said.

Garcia was the driver of a box truck owned by Builders Installed Products of Hermon that veered off Route 3 in Bar Harbor on Sept. 15, 2015, and into a scenic turnout where it struck a car owned by Roger Beghtol of Hendersonville, N.C. The impact pushed the car into Beghtol, who was standing outside the vehicle. Beghtol died from injuries sustained in the accident.

Blood tests taken after the Sept. 15 crash showed that Garcia had five different drugs in his system and had recently taken heroin, according to the district attorney’s office.

Following Garcia’s grand jury indictment, a warrant was issued for his arrest. Bangor police arrested him on the warrant on May 4, 2016, after officers spotted him riding in a vehicle on Sunny Hollow Drive. At the time, Garcia allegedly was illegally in possession of prescription pills, and police additionally charged him with unlawful possession of scheduled drugs.

He later was released on $7,500 bail. At his initial court appearance in June 2016, Garcia denied the charges against him.

A bail hearing on the revocation is scheduled for the end of August, Foster said. He is scheduled to go to trial in September.

“He’s not likely to get out of jail before his trial,” Foster said.

Manslaughter is a Class A crime punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.