Man in buff rebuffed


The police log in last week’s Islander misstated the events leading to the summonses of Kayla Conley and Amber Flach July 4. The first fight occurred around 10 p.m., police said, and involved Conley, 23, of Bar Harbor and two other women. A short time later, Conley and Flach, 33, of Lamoine, who was not present for the first fight, saw the other two women and another fight began. The Islander apologizes for the error.


ACADIA NAT’L PARK — A Columbia Falls man was cited on charges of disorderly conduct after an alleged indecent exposure incident July 8 at Lakewood. Clarence Grant, 56, was naked when he got out of his truck, rangers said, and exposed himself to two women. He then left the area and returned about 15 minutes later, according to reports.

A Yarmouth man was arrested following a 1:30 a.m. accident at a hairpin turn on the Cadillac Mountain Road July 5. Tommy Aceto, 63, of Yarmouth reportedly failed to maintain control while negotiating the turn and the vehicle struck and dislodged a coping stone. He was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, unsafe operations and failure to maintain control.

Venugopal Viswanathan, 47, of Bridgewater, N.J., was cited July 5 on a charge of illegal parking along Paradise Hill Road.

Rangers issued citations for possession of alcohol in a closed area to a group at Sand Beach July 5. Logan C. Cayton, 21, of Emporia, Kansas, Nathan Melchi, 20 of Carmel, Ind., and Robert Jackson, 19, of Kenly, N.C, were cited for possession of alcohol in a closed area — Sand Beach. Melchi and Kenley were also warned for underage drinking.

Rangers also were busy July 5 with parking problems throughout the park, according to reports, and especially at Echo Lake.

Justin Lary, 20, of Hartland was cited July 6 on a charge of driving a commercial vehicle on the Park Loop Road.

A Vermont man reportedly drove through the fee station July 6 without paying. Rangers caught up with Zachary Mills, 19, and issued a citation for failure to pay recreation fees.

Rangers assisted a woman with an injured arm at Jordan Pond House July 7 after she fell on one of the trails on Sargent Mountain, according to reports.

Joseph A. Paluga, 74 of Bar Harbor was cited July 7 on a charge of speeding on West Street Extension.

Masachusetts tour company Sun Tours Express Inc. was contacted July 7 for the second time this year, rangers said, for operating in the park without a business permit.

Rangers issued citations to several drivers July 7 for obstructing traffic by parking in the lane of travel. Those charged were Joseph Varghese, 37, of New Jersey; John Swartz of Russia, Ohio; John Meacham, 57, of New York; Gao Yang, 25 of Massachusetts; Chen Teyu, 30, of Massachusetts and Poyung Chang, 26, of Massachusetts.

The Lower Mountain section of the the Park Loop Road was closed for a time July 8 due to congestion. Rangers said 12 vehicles were parked in the lane of travel. Four vehicles were towed and one citation was issued.

An Audi sedan driven by Nigel Wright, 38, of East Machias struck coping stones around 11 p.m. July 8 after failing to negotiate a turn. The vehicle was towed and Wright was warned for failure to maintain control.

Rangers spoke with a New York man who they suspected of camping outside of a designated campsite near Bubble Rock July 9.

Mathew Munley of Pennsylvania was cited on a charge of possessing alcohol in a closed area July 10 at Lakewood.

Two people were separately warned July 10 for driving oversized vehicles on the Schoodic Loop Road.

Rangers assisted a game warden in searching for someone using a jet ski on Seal Cove Pond July 10.

Bar Harbor

The driver of a vehicle was warned for “doing donuts” on the Bar Island sandbar July 10.

A group of people called police July 10 to report they were stranded on Bar Island. They were advised to call Downeast Windjammer Cruises to pick them up.

Someone reported July 10 that his vehicle had been vandalized while it was parked in the Old Police Department parking lot. The case is under investigation.

Patricia Copetta, 73, of North Andover, Mass., sustained an apparently minor injury July 11 when she was struck while in a crosswalk at the intersection of Ledgelawn Avenue and Mount Desert Street by a 2007 Toyota pickup driven by Stephen Rogers, 46, of Bar Harbor. No charges were filed. After walking to the police station to report the incident, Copetta declined to be checked by the EMTs who were next door at the fire station.

A 2003 Subaru Forester driven by Nathan Henry, 17, of Brewer and a 2001 Honda Accord driven by Clinton Banis, 34, of Bar Harbor both sustained front driver’s side damage when they collided on Park Street July 11. Neither driver was injured and no charges were filed.

In an apparent case of hit and run, a 2018 Honda SUV owned by Omer Gagnon, 71, of The Villages, Fla., was struck by another vehicle while parked illegally on Main Street July 11, police said. The front end and driver’s side mirror were damaged.

A 1997 Volkswagen SUV driven by Solange Faucher, 56, of Boischatle, Quebec, was stopped for a turning vehicle on Route 3 on July 12 when it was struck from behind by a 2011 Ford F250 driven by Timothy Gordon, 48, of Salem, Va. The rear of the Volkswagen and the front of the Ford truck were damaged. No injuries were reported and no charges were filed.

Matthew Leddy, 41, of East Boston, Mass., was arrested on Route 3 July 13 on a charge of operating under the influence.

A motorist reported July 15 that several orange road construction barrels on Route 3 had been knocked over. Officer Jerrod Hardy spoke with two men who admitted knocking over the barrels. “They went and put the barrels back in their proper position,” he reported. No charges were filed.

After picking up passengers on West Street, an Island Explorer bus driven by Terrence Leavitt, 67, of Orrington was pulling away from the curb when it clipped a parked 2018 Nissan on July 15. According to police, the last known operator of the car was Paul Fraser, 66, of Prior Lake, Minn. The car’s left front fender and driver’s side door were damaged, as was the right rear bumper of the bus. There were no injuries and no charges were filed.

George Beylerian, 28, of Seaside Heights, N.J., was arrested July 15 on a 2013 warrant out of Penobscot County Criminal Court for failure to appear on a prior charge of operating without a license.

Mount Desert

A resident reported July 9 that an inflatable skiff and motor had been stolen from a private marina. The case is under investigation.

A drone was reported flying over private property in the Cooksey Drive area July 10.

A 2005 Volkswagen Passat that was parked on Main Street in Northeast Harbor sustained front-end damage when it was backed into by a 2006 GMC Yukon driven by Stephen Lichtenauer, 58, of Harrison, N.Y., July 11. According to the police report, the last known operator of the Passat was Chapin McFarland, 22, of Mount Desert.

Jonathan Parkinson, 22, of Bar Harbor was arrested on Main Street in Seal Harbor July 12 on charges of operating under the influence of drugs and alcohol. A passenger in the vehicle, Dicquan Haisley, 24, of Bar Harbor was arrested and charged with possession of cocaine.

Daniel Segel, 26, of Newton, Mass., was arrested on Sound Drive July 14 and charged with OUI.

Southwest Harbor

Two pick-up trucks driving across the bridge at the Southwest Harbor/Tremont town line the evening of July 10 collided mirrors during the crossing, police said. A 2013 Chevy pickup driven by John Lockett, 29, of Liverpool, N.Y., with its tow mirror extended passed a white Ford pick up driven by a Bass Harbor teen, also with the tow mirror extended, over the narrow bridge, according to the report. There was no other contact between the two vehicles and no one reported injuries, according to reports.

A 2009 Chevy Silverado driven by Stacey Curtis, 50, of Lamoine reportedly hit a deer on Bass Harbor Road the morning of July 12. There was reportable damage to the front of the Chevy, which was towing a utility trailer at the time of the accident, police said.

A 2015 Ford Van, driven by Sara Reed, 40, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa reportedly sideswiped a parked 2015 Chevy Tahoe at the corner of Main Street and Lawler Lane. The Tahoe is registered to Kimberly Storey, 51, of Bolton. Both vehicles had minor damage and there were no injuries reported.

Police received a report of a seagull with a broken wing in the road near the intersection of Freeman Ridge Road and Seal Cove Road Friday morning. An officer made calls to wildlife agencies to seek help for the bird.

Police pulled over a vehicle that was missing a plate light on Saturday around 10 p.m. As a result, police summonsed Caleb Heffner, 32, of Bar Harbor on a charge of OUI. Heffner was escorted to Bar Harbor where his information was recorded.

Christopher Clark, 27, of Seal Cove was summoned Monday morning on a charge of operating an unregistered motor vehicle greater than 150 days. He was pulled over after police noticed his vehicle was missing a front license plate and the view of the back one was obscured, according to reports.


Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call from near the Swans Island Ferry Terminal the evening of July 4. The caller described a woman with the dog who was acting strangely, perhaps on drugs, according to reports. When a deputy arrived around 8 p.m., he observed a large amount of dog food strewn where the vehicles wait in line for the ferry. The reporting party said the woman had left in a white pickup.

A resident reported hearing several gunshots near her residence Monday. Police checked the area and spoke to several people who all said what they thought were fireworks coming from across the cove in Bernard. Police checked the area and could not locate the source of the fireworks.


A noise disturbance was reported at a Trenton residence on July 9 around noon. When police arrived, they issued a verbal disorderly conduct warning, according to the report.

Around 9:30 a.m. on Friday, police received a report of a telephone utility line laying in the roadway of Route 3 in Trenton. It had been snagged and pulled down by an unknown vehicle, deputies said. The cable was cut soon after and there was no damage to the house or the pole.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.