Island Police Log: Man charged in hit-and-run crash

TREMONT — Hancock County Sheriff’s Deputy Dakota Dupuis charged a Tremont man after investigating a hit-and-run accident on the Bernard Road in Tremont Sunday.

The accident damaged a “school bus stop ahead” sign and a telephone pole, the deputy said.

Dupuis said Lee Closson, 59, was driving a 2012 GMC Sierra when he failed to negotiate a corner and hit the sign and pole.

“Closson then fled the scene and was later located,” Dupuis said. “Closson was not injured as a result of the crash but the truck sustained significant damage.”

Dupuis summoned Closson on charges of leaving the scene of a property damage accident and failure to report a property damage accident.

“Speed and alcohol were suspected to be contributing factors in the crash,” Dupuis said.

Bar Harbor

A woman was warned for sleeping in a vehicle in the Eagle Lake Carriage Road parking lot at 1 a.m. March 25.

A 2011 GMC Yukon operated by Bruce MacGown, 62, of Surry was travelling north on Route 3 near Hamilton’s Pond the evening of March 25, when it reportedly struck a deer that had jumped out from the right side of the road. There was minor damage to the vehicle and the deer ran off.

Police investigated an apparent hit-and-run accident in Town Hill on March 26, reported by a witness who heard the crash. Neither vehicle was there when police arrived, but officers could see some shattered car parts in the road and notified the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

A suspected drug deal in a Cottage Street parking lot was reported the afternoon of March 26. Police passed the information on to the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency.

A woman was warned to stop feeding deer in the roadway on Cromwell Drive the afternoon of March 26.

Following a traffic stop for speeding on Federal Street around 1 a.m. March 27, Abe Stratton, 23, of Bar Harbor was summonsed on a charge of operating without a license.

A 2005 Toyota operated by Mia Vierthaler, 20, of Orland reportedly struck a deer while heading northbound on Route 3, around midday on March 27. There was damage to the front driver’s side of the vehicle. The deer was killed on impact, police said, and given to someone on the deer list.

A man was warned for trespassing at a Cottage Street apartment past midnight on March 28.

The morning of March 28, police looked for a deer that was reported injured on Route 3 near College of the Atlantic, but did not find the animal.

Police removed a dead deer from Hadley Point Road the morning of March 28.

Multiple gunshots were heard off Crooked Road in Town Hill Friday afternoon, but officers did not find the source of the noise.

Past midnight on Sunday, police took a report from a woman who had been bitten by her cat. Police determined the cat was updated on shots, and no further action was taken.

Late Sunday morning, police received numerous calls from a Main Street business. Speaking with someone on the site, police determined it was an alarm and phone system malfunction, not an emergency.

Southwest Harbor

Jenna Beaulieu, 33, of Tremont was arrested March 27 on a charge of operating under the influence.

Wilfred Minctons, 57, of Tremont was arrested March 28 on a charge of operating under the influence.

Tyler Thurston, 26, of Ellsworth was issued a summons on Friday for failure to produce evidence of insurance, failure to display a valid inspection sticker and permitting the display of false registration stickers on license plates.

Mount Desert

A Hall Quarry man reported a wallet and cash stolen from his residence on March 25.

Police looked for a vehicle in Northeast Harbor that was reportedly operating erratically, swerving and driving under the speed limit, on Routes 233 and 198 the afternoon of March 26, but did not locate the vehicle.

An Otter Creek resident reported a man trying to sell meat door-to-door on March 27. Police checked the area, but did not find the meat seller.

The afternoon of March 28, someone came into the police department to dispose of hypodermic needles that they found along the shoreline.

Police directed traffic around a school bus that had broken down on Route 198 the afternoon of March 28, until the bus was repaired and out of the road. Police checked on a man who was highly intoxicated outside a Somesville business Sunday afternoon. Following an assessment, police called an ambulance, and the man was transported to hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.