Fire damaged this house on Newton Way in Bar Harbor, making it unlivable for the time being, officials said. ISLANDER PHOTO BY BECKY PRITCHARD

House fire began in stovepipe



BAR HARBOR — No one was injured when a fire broke out around the stovepipe of a pellet stove at 16 Newton Way around noon on Sunday. According to Fire Chief Matt Bartlett, one resident was home, discovered the fire and got out safely.

A neighbor called the fire department and about ten firefighters arrived on the scene.

“It was a relatively small fire,” Bartlett said, “but it did require us to remove the wall and remove some shingles. It took about 45 minutes to make sure the fire was completely out.”

As of now, Bartlett said, the home is not livable. One person was displaced in the fire, who according to Bartlett was relocated with the assistance of the property owner. “Once they were out and relocated, that was the end of our involvement.”

According to town tax records, the building is owned by Leonard DeMuro, Jr. The building was built in 1910.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misstated the street address of the house.

Becky Pritchard
Former Islander reporter Becky Pritchard covered the town of Bar Harbor and was a park ranger in Acadia for six seasons.
Becky Pritchard

Latest posts by Becky Pritchard (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.