Freezer short sparks fire

SOUTHWEST HARBOR — Firefighters quickly extinguished an electrical fire involving a freezer Tuesday night at Gott’s Store.

Southwest Harbor firefighters were meeting at the fire station on Main Street when the report came in at about 8:10 p.m. They were at the store within minutes. Tremont firefighters have a mutual aid agreement with Southwest Harbor and weren’t far behind.

With no visible flames, firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate the source in the sill of a freezer door. After cutting power to the freezer, the team tore up the sill and sprayed water on the area.

A heating tape used to prevent the door from freezing shut apparently had shorted out, sparking a small fire, firefighters said.

Store co-owner Jennifer Gray said Wednesday morning that an employee saw smoke near a freezer in a back room and immediately called the fire department. Gray said the damage was minimal, thanks to the fast response by firefighters.

“It was a best-case scenario,” she said.

At the scene Tuesday, firefighters said that the situation could have been much worse if the electrical problem happened when the store was closed.



Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.