Former Bar Harbor Police Chief Nate Young was arrested in Ellsworth Sunday evening on a drunk driving charge. PHOTO COURTESY OF HSCO

Former chief charged with OUI

ELLSWORTH — The former Bar Harbor police chief fired in 2014 after an investigation concluded he was intoxicated and hostile toward officers conducting a well-being check was arrested Sunday for allegedly driving while intoxicated.

Nathan Young, 54, of Bar Harbor was arrested by Ellsworth police on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI) and booked into the Hancock County Jail. Young later was released on bail.

According to Detective Dotty Small, police received a report around 7:45 p.m. of an erratic driver northbound on Route 3. Officer Jordon Denley stopped Young’s vehicle in the parking lot of Hilltop on the Run. Young was arrested after allegedly failing a field sobriety test, police said.

The complaint of erratic operation came from a driver who observed a pickup truck with a plow swerving off the road and into the oncoming lane, at one point hitting a median with the plow, Small said.

Young is scheduled to make his first appearance in court on Feb. 21.

Young currently has a lawsuit pending against the town of Bar Harbor in Hancock County Superior Court regarding his dismissal as police chief in January 2014.

Then-Town Manager Dana Reed fired Young after an investigation into a September 2013 incident involving a well-being check by Bar Harbor police on a truck parked at night at the closed Town Hill Market. The investigator hired by the town concluded that the police chief was intoxicated and acted belligerently towards officers when they arrived at the scene.

After Young’s appeal of his dismissal was turned down by the Town Council, he filed the lawsuit in state court. The complaint later was transferred to U.S. Federal Court in Bangor.

Young’s claims included that he was a victim of discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Maine Human Rights Act due to his alcoholism and that he was fired for taking leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act to seek treatment.

In June, U.S. District Judge George Singal dismissed these claims, stating Young had failed to demonstrate that town officials considered him impaired because of his disability and had not provided the court with any “credible evidence” of retaliation. Another claim, that Young’s due process rights had been violated, was dismissed in April 2015.

Singal dismissed without prejudice Young’s claims for a Rule 80 administrative review of the town decision to fire him, that his contract had been breached and that town councilors violated Maine’s Freedom of Access Act by holding executive sessions where he was discussed without the opportunity to attend. Singal determined these matters are best heard in state court.

Young subsequently filed a complaint alleging those claims in state court. The matter is expected to go to trial. No date has been set.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.