BAR HARBOR — A fire that appeared to start from a furnace exhaust pipe passing too close to wood framing timber damaged a greenhouse at Sweet Pea Farm in Salisbury Cove Monday evening.
Bar Harbor Firefighters were called to the facility, located up a half-mile-long dirt road, around 6:20 p.m. The 80-foot plastic greenhouse has three heating plants.
The fire apparently started near the chimney of one of the oil furnaces in the south end of the structure.
Fire crews were able to use the water from a single engine to put out the flames. They then spent more than an hour removing damaged sections of wall, looking for any lingering hot spots.
The temperature was just below freezing, and it was snowing at the time of the fire.
Farm workers quickly installed new plastic sheeting to enclose the damaged portion of the building. “Everything we grow for the season is in there,” said farm owner Matt Gerald at the fire scene. “It’s important we get it closed up.”
A crew and engine from the Trenton Volunteer Fire Department assisted.