Bar Harbor firefighters check for hot spots after flames damaged a greenhouse at Sweet Pea Farm in Salisbury Cove Monday evening.

Flames damage Sweet Pea greenhouse in Bar Harbor

BAR HARBOR — A fire that appeared to start from a furnace exhaust pipe passing too close to wood framing timber damaged a greenhouse at Sweet Pea Farm in Salisbury Cove Monday evening.

Bar Harbor Firefighters were called to the facility, located up a half-mile-long dirt road, around 6:20 p.m. The 80-foot plastic greenhouse has three heating plants.

The fire apparently started near the chimney of one of the oil furnaces in the south end of the structure.

A plywood wall caught fire and spread to a portion of the clear plastic roof. Embers burned holes where they landed on other parts of the plastic covering.

Fire crews were able to use the water from a single engine to put out the flames. They then spent more than an hour removing damaged sections of wall, looking for any lingering hot spots.

The temperature was just below freezing, and it was snowing at the time of the fire.

Farm workers quickly installed new plastic sheeting to enclose the damaged portion of the building. “Everything we grow for the season is in there,” said farm owner Matt Gerald at the fire scene. “It’s important we get it closed up.”

A crew and engine from the Trenton Volunteer Fire Department assisted.

Earl Brechlin

Earl Brechlin

Editor at Mount Desert Islander
Former Islander editor Earl Brechlin first discovered Mount Desert Island 35 years ago and never left. The author of seven guide and casual history books, he is a Registered Maine Guide and has served as president of the Maine and New England Press Associations. He and his wife live in Bar Harbor.
Earl Brechlin

Latest posts by Earl Brechlin (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.