SOUTHWEST HARBOR – A fire here Wednesday afternoon caused heavy damage to a carpentry shop on the High Road.
The fire at the shop owned by general contractor Eric Henry was reported around 1:20 p.m.
Employees were working at the shop when the fire broke out. One worker was using a propane torch to cut rope, turned off the torch and went outside to his truck for a few minutes. When he returned, the shop was on fire, said Chief Sam Chisholm of the Southwest Harbor Fire Department.
“It started where he was cutting the rope,” Chisholm said.
Employees used a fire extinguisher but were unable to stop the flames from spreading.
“The fire quickly spread to the attic, where dry lumber was stored,” Chisholm said.
The shop building, which is next to Henry’s home, also contained an office, where business records and other documents were stored. The office area has smoke and water damage, Chisholm said. The workspace where the fire broke out sustained substantially more damage. The roof above this section collapsed.
It was a busy day for Southwest Harbor firefighters. They had been out until 3:30 a.m. fighting and cleaning up after a boat fire in the harbor, according to one firefighter. They cleared the scene of the carpentry shop fire around 5:30 p.m.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters from Tremont and Mount Desert provided assistance to Southwest Harbor during the High Road fire.