Members of the Tremont Volunteer Fire Department, with the help of firefighters from Mount Desert and Southwest Harbor, used compressed-air foam to suffocate a fire that started in the kitchen of a home on Old Point Rd in Bernard last Wednesday. PHOTO COURTESY OF TVFD

Family displaced by fire



TREMONT — A fire, believed to have been started by a malfunctioning self-cleaning oven, displaced a family of three on June 13.

Volunteers for the Tremont Fire Department received a call around 2:30 p.m. about a fire on Old Point Road. When they arrived on the scene, flames were coming from windows on the second floor of the two-story house.

“The rooms directly above the kitchen had a lot of heat damage,” said Fire Chief Keith Higgins.

Home alone at the time the fire started, a father of two teenage daughters had initiated the self-cleaning function on his oven, which then malfunctioned, according to reports.

Two cats and a gerbil perished in the incident, but the family dog was unharmed, he said. The homeowner was examined by ambulance personnel at the scene. No injuries were reported.

Supported by volunteer fire crews from Southwest Harbor and Mount Desert, Tremont firefighters knocked down the flames initially with water and then used compressed-air foam to suffocate the remaining hot spots.

“We had a really amazing turnout given the time of day,” said Higgins, noting many of the volunteers were getting done work and able to respond quickly.

Sarah Hinckley

Sarah Hinckley

Former Islander reporter Sarah Hinckley covered the towns of Southwest Harbor, Tremont and neighboring islands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.