A firefighter breaks a window to ventilate smoke from a building on fire on Cottage Street Monday afternoon. ISLANDER PHOTO BY LIZ GRAVES

Cottage Street building damaged in fire



BAR HARBOR — Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire in an upstairs apartment at 71 Cottage St. Monday afternoon that reportedly started in a clothes dryer.

Everyone in the building got out safely, Bar Harbor Fire Chief Matt Bartlett said.

The smoke, heat and water damage was mostly contained to the second floor. The unoccupied retail space on the first floor also had water damage.

Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor and Tremont Fire Departments and the Northeast Harbor Ambulance assisted.

Liz Graves

Liz Graves

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Former Islander reporter and editor Liz Graves grew up in California and came to Maine as a schooner sailor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.