Island Police: Police hunt for assault suspect

SOUTHWEST HARBOR — A manhunt Friday for a suspect in a domestic assault ended about five hours later with the subject turning himself into police.

Officer Eben Richardson responded around 1 a.m. to a call from a woman who said she had been assaulted by her boyfriend. The alleged assailant, 29-year-old Alan Walton of Southwest Harbor, left the scene on foot. Police called in Trooper Chris Smith of the Maine State Police and his canine, Winger, to track the suspect. Winger, however, lost the trail.

Around 6 a.m., Walton turned himself in and was arrested on charges of domestic violence assault and obstructing the report of a crime.

John Craigo, 56, of Bar Harbor was summonsed Saturday on a speeding charge.

Mount Desert

A Northeast Harbor resident reported that his nativity scene had been vandalized for the third time. Items had been pulled out of the ground, but nothing was broken. Police agreed to patrol the area more frequently.

Ryan Graves, 42, of Mount Desert was summonsed Sunday on a charge of operating with an expired driver’s license.

A cat apparently decided on Monday to find another place to live.

The feline, described as a tiger cat, ran into a Northeast Harbor residence and made itself at home. The homeowners said they would care for the cat until the owner is found.

A 2008 Volvo driven by Rachel Wray, no age given, of Mount Desert sustained minor damage Sunday when it struck a deer on Route 102. No injuries were reported.


The sheriff’s department is investigating several thefts that were reported during the past week.

On Saturday, a homeowner reported the theft of jewelry.

Two thefts were reported Dec. 17. In one, decorative concrete lawn decorations were stolen from a Route 3 business. In the other, a landscaping trailer valued at $750 was stolen from a parking lot.

Bar Harbor

Scam phone callers looking for money were reported by several residents Dec. 18. In one instance, a man reported a call from someone claiming to be an officer of the Penobscot County court system. The supposed officer informed the man that he owed $1,000 in fines for failing to appear for jury duty, according to reports. The suspect asked the man to send him prepaid money cards for the fines. The man did not do so. Other residents reported similar calls concerning sheriff’s office warrants.

Police advise residents never to provide personal nor financial information over the phone to unknown sources. “If the call doesn’t sound right,” Sgt. Shawn Farrar said, “then just hang up.”

Dylan Rausch, 23, of Bar Harbor was arrested Saturday on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI).

Police had several reports of illegal clamming at Hadley Point Beach this week. On Saturday, Officer Brad O’Neil investigated two people who were clamming. Both parties were town residents with recreational licenses who were within their possession limits, according to reports.

A 17-year-old boy was summonsed on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia at Mount Desert Island High School on Friday.

Kolby Engstrom, 20, of Orono was summonsed Dec. 16 on a charge of operating after suspension.

A resident reported the battery had been stolen out of her vehicle Dec. 17.

An intoxicated man who left a downtown bar without paying was convinced to settle his bill by Officer Dustin Tierney Dec. 17.

A report of gunshots near Indian Point Road was investigated Dec. 18.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.