Island Police: Police extinguish prohibited open flame at housing unit

Southwest Harbor 

Police received six accidental 911 calls through the week, including a pocket dial on April 27 around 6 p.m. When police called the phone back, its owner was on the golf course with no emergency. 

Around 10:15 a.m. on April 28, police received a report of a truck driving through town spilling some type of fuel. When an officer found the vehicle, it was determined that less than 5 gallons of diesel fuel had leaked out. According to the report, this did not require any further emergency response.  

Police were asked to escort a large boat from Mountain View Road to the Hinckley Yachts boatyard on Shore Road around noon on April 29. An escort was provided. 

Police were asked by MDI Housing Authority to investigate a report of a resident having an open flame at one of the housing units on April 29 around 6 p.m. Because having an open flame is against the rules of the housing unit, police were asked to extinguish the fire, if one existed. According to the report, the fire was put out without any problem.  

Police conducted bail checks on several people in town on April 29. As a result, Christopher Sullivan, 38, of Southwest Harborwas issued a summons on a charge of violation of conditions of release. 

A deer in the roadway of Main Street was reported around 4:30 a.m. on Friday. When an officer arrived to check on it, he found the deer was injured but it ran off with little effort, according to the report. 

A woman called police around 4:20 p.m. on Friday to report she had just broken up with her boyfriend and believed he was suicidal. An officer reached out to the man and, after a conversation with him, found that he appeared to be upset but not suicidal.  

A bail check was conducted around 8:30 p.m. on Friday and, as a result, Joy Levesque, 46, of Southwest Harbor, was issued a summons on a charge of violating conditions of release. 

An officer conducted a bail check on Saturday around 1:45 p.m. and issued Lillianna Bresnahan, 28, of Hope, a summons on a charge of violating conditions of release.  

An elderly woman called police on Saturday around 5:30 p.m. to report a scam phone call she had received. An officer met with the woman to talk about options her phone provider may offer to help reduce those types of calls.  

A suspicious vehicle was reported on Freeman Ridge Road around 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. When the owner/driver of the vehicle was contacted by police, they explained the reason for parking in the area was to get better cell phone service.  

Just after 10 p.m. on Sunday, a Chevrolet Tahoe driven by Franklin Burke, 50, of Sedgwick, collided with a deer on Seawall Road. There was minor front grill damage to the Tahoe but the deer ran away from the scene.  

Around 4 p.m. on Monday, police were made aware of a sex offender possibly in violation of their registry conditions. An investigation into the report is underway. 

When an officer responded to a business alarm that was activated around 6:15 p.m. on Monday, he found it had been set off by a page being printed in the printer. 


Around 12:30 p.m. on Friday, an officer spoke with a woman about theft of personal documents.  

On Monday around 8:15 p.m., an officer spoke with a woman about her personal information being compromised through an online scam. 


A man called the sheriff’s office on Saturday around 4 p.m. to ask about a situation deemed to be civil in nature. 

A woman called the sheriff’s office on Saturday around 5:30 p.m. to report an attempted fraud.  

Bar Harbor 

On April 28 at 4:29 a.m., officers responded to an alarm at the Mount Desert Island High School, which turned out to be a false alarm. 

At 10:25 a.m. on April 28, the Bar Harbor harbormaster turned in a container to the police department that had been found on the shoreline.  

As of 2:13 p.m. on April 28, the police department is investigating a report of a stolen bicycle. 

An officer stopped and checked on a State Highway 3 business close to 7 p.m. on April 28 after seeing an open door. Housekeeping was on site and there were no issues. 

On April 28 at 9:15 p.m., an officer assisted the Bar Harbor Fire Department’s ambulance service with a lifeline call after a person fell in their bathroom. 

Close to 8 a.m. on April 29, the police department fielded a 911 call that turned out to be a misdial made by a 3-year-old playing with a phone. 

At 10:24 a.m. on April 29, a person reported losing an envelope with money it in somewhere in Bar Harbor. The police department has contact information in case the envelope gets turned in. 

On April 29 at 2:47 p.m., a man reported that his daughter had lost her wallet with ID in it. He was advised that the police department would contact him if it was turned in. 

An officer gave a motorist a warning on April 29 around 3:30 p.m. for poor operation and an expired inspection sticker. 

At 4:50 p.m. on April 29, Zhengxin Ma, 30, of Bangor, traveling westbound on State Highway 3 in a 2015 Subaru Forester, hit a deer before the intersection with Ocean Mist Drive. The Forester sustained disabling damage to its front end, but Ma was uninjured. The deer’s fate was not given in the police report. 

At the request of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency and Probation & Parole, officers conducted probation checks at 8:12 p.m. on April 29 on two individuals. 

At 4 a.m. on Friday, an officer responded to a report of a felled tree in the roadway in Bar Harbor. According to the report, the tree was moved. 

On Friday at 6:50 a.m., Sierra Violet, 23, of Bar Harbor, was traveling southbound on the Crooked Road in a 2008 Subaru Outback when she failed to maintain control of her vehicle while attempting to navigate a curve in the road. According to the police report, rain is believed to have played a role in the accident. Violet was uninjured and the Outback suffered only minor damage to its front. 

An officer received a report of an injured seagull at 3:46 p.m. on Friday and took the bird to Acadia Wildlife. 

A little past 10 p.m. on Friday, an officer responded to an unattended death in the town of Bar Harbor. The matter is under investigation. 

An officer handled a dog bite complaint in Bar Harbor on Saturday around 11 a.m. 

On Saturday at 11:18 p.m., an officer responded to the area of 17 Edgewood Street after a complaint was made about a loud party. The officer didn’t find a party, but a group of people on the sidewalk were listening to music. The officer advised the group of the complaint. 

At 11:20 a.m. on Sunday, an officer spoke to a Bar Harbor resident about abandoned property that had been left on the resident’s property. The abandoned property was later removed and placed into storage at the Bar Harbor Police Department for safekeeping.  

An officer took a report of a cell phone theft from a local business at 2:16 p.m. on Sunday. Upon investigating the incident, the phone was found and returned to its rightful owner. No charges were filed. 

At 3:17 p.m. on Sunday, the police department received a complaint of a vehicle that was parked in front of a fire hydrant. An officer warned the vehicle’s owner not to park in front of hydrants and the vehicle was moved. 

A few minutes after 8 p.m. on Sunday, a motorist called the police department to say a pickup truck was driving with headlights off on Eagle Lake Road. An officer checked the area but did not locate the truck. 

Mount Desert 

A Northeast Harbor resident called the police department on April 28 to make a complaint of speeding vehicles on Harborside Drive. 

At 9:33 p.m. on April 28, a local called the police department to report a speeding motorist on Main Street in Somesville. 

On April 29 at 7:21 p.m., two officers performed a security check at a Northeast Harbor residence and found it to be secure. 

After a probation check on April 29 at 10:07 p.m., Alfred C. Lanpher, 52, of Mount Desert, was arrested on a probation violation. 

On Friday at 7:42 p.m., an officer responded to a report of a lost dog in the area of Somes Pond.  

After receiving a complaint regarding suspicious activity at 1:38 p.m. on Saturday, officers arrested Justin Gibbons, 38, of Veazie, for operating under the influence and for operating without a license.  

At 5:13 p.m. on Saturday, an officer responded to a report of gunshots on the Northern Neck Road. 

On Sunday at 3:35 p.m., a Northeast Harbor resident called the police to report an unwelcome stray cat on their property. An officer checked the area but did not find the cat. No further police action was taken. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.