Island Police Log: Arrests follow fight outside bar

BAR HARBOR — Four officers from two departments responded to a fight outside a Rodick Place bar around 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

Officer Larry Fickett was first on scene after staff at the bar reported the fight. A large group outside was engaged in a pushing match, he said. The officer reportedly saw Rachel Lowther, 27, of Ellsworth assault another woman and issued her a summons to appear in court.

While Fickett was processing the ticket, the group grew more unruly, and William Smeal, 29, of Ellsworth became aggressive, reports note. Fickett arrested Smeal on charges of assault, refusing to submit to arrest and violating conditions of his release.

Officer Dustin Tierney, Sgt. Shaun Farrar and Officer Ryan Lawson of the Mount Desert Police Department arrived to help disperse the crowd and identify witnesses. Robbie Smeal, 22, of Ellsworth also was arrested on an assault charge. He and William Smeal were released on bail a short time later.

Cole Lyons, 31, of Brewer was summonsed July 14 on charges of attaching false license plates to his vehicle and failing to provide evidence of insurance following a traffic accident on Route 3 in Hull’s Cove. Lyons’ Pontiac Sunfire struck the rear of a Jeep Liberty driven by Maralyn Hunnewell, 75, of Lamoine when she stopped for a car turning in front of her. He was not able to stop his vehicle in time due to defective brakes, police said.

Just before midnight on July 14, Tierney responded to reports of a fight at the town ball field. The officer arrested Gary Schilling, 39, of South Carolina on an aggravated assault charge. The other party was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

Following a report of domestic assault early in the morning of July 16, Randy Sprague, 29, of Bar Harbor was arrested and taken to the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth.

Graydon Dobbs, 18, of Bar Harbor was summonsed July 16 on a charge of illegal possession of alcohol by a minor.

Officer Brad O’Neil responded to a fight outside a Cottage Street bar Friday morning and arrested Taylor Cummings, 27, of Hallowell on four outstanding warrants for unpaid fines. He was taken to the Hancock County Jail.

Officer Judson Cake arrested Samantha Brent, 36, of Bar Harbor on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI) Saturday morning on Eden Street. Jarred O’Brien, 36, of Trenton was summonsed Sunday morning on a charge of operating after suspension.

Kyle Clark, 20, of Southwest Harbor was summonsed Sunday on Firefly Lane on a charge of possession of a fake identification card.

Mount Desert

A Northeast Harbor resident reported Monday that two tires on his vehicle had been slashed during the night. Police confirmed that the tires had been cut. There are no suspects.

A Somesville woman appears to be the sole victim in the theft of shoes reported Monday. The complainant said four pairs of footwear she left in the hallway of her apartment building had been taken.

A Seal Harbor man reported Saturday that guns were missing from a residence.

Southwest Harbor

A resident reported Sunday that her daughter stole her car, but after speaking with police, she decided to wait before filing a complaint.

Scott Bagley, 50, of Southwest Harbor was arrested Monday on a warrant charging him with failure to appear in court.

A cell phone was stolen July 15 from a vehicle parked near the Long Pond pumping station.


A 29-year-old resident was arrested July 15 after the Hancock County Regional Communications Center reported receiving a 911 hang-up call.

Lieutenant Tim Cote and Deputy Jeff McFarland of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department went to the caller’s residence and interviewed the people involved. As a result, Domenick Barnes was arrested on a domestic violence assault charge.

A flag reportedly was stolen Sunday.


Swerving to miss a deer reportedly was the cause of a motor vehicle accident Saturday on the Bayside Road.

Craig Pelletier, 57, of Tremont swerved his 2004 Ford to avoid the deer. The car left the road and struck a tree.

A resident reported Saturday that he had paid to have some construction work done, but the job was not done. The sheriff’s department is investigating.

Cary Harper, 41, of Ellsworth was arrested Sunday on two warrants charging him with failure to appear in court and another for default in payment of fines. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop.

Acadia National Park

Rangers received a cell phone call from visitors marooned by the incoming tide on Bar Island on Monday. The call came in around 10:30 a.m. that a group of 12 people, including several small children, were stranded. The group also had three dogs with them.

Two rangers took an aluminum boat with an outboard motor to the island to bring the visitors back to Bar Harbor. Reports indicate that unfamiliarity with the English language may have prompted the visitors not to notice the signs warning that the sand bar to the island is underwater at high tide.

A 46-year-old woman suffered a compound wrist fracture in a bicycling accident on the carriage road near Jordan Pond on July 14. She apparently became entangled with other riders in her party as they attempted to make way for an oncoming group. Rangers responded and administered first aid.

The woman was taken to the Mount Desert Island Hospital in Bar Harbor by Northeast Harbor Ambulance.

Raymond Goselin, 55, of Mastic, N.Y., was summonsed by rangers at the Seawall Campground July 14 on a charge of failure to maintain control of a vehicle. According to reports, Goselin was attempting to maneuver a camper trailer attached to his pickup truck when a birch tree became lodged between the vehicles. While Goseling attempted to extricate the trailer, the tree was heavily damaged, rangers said.

Frank Portelli, 55, of New Jersey and Tamara Mudd, 47, of Cox’s Creek, Ky., each was summonsed by rangers on July 15 on a charge of feeding wildlife. They were reportedly observed feeding seagulls near the Bubble Rock parking area.

On July 16, a 71-year-old man fell off the boardwalk along the Jesup Path near Sieur de Monts. Rangers provided first aid, and the man was able to drive himself to the emergency room. That same day, a 17-year-old hiker on the Schiff Path sustained a head injury after standing up abruptly, striking an overhanging granite rock. Rangers provided first aid.

More than a dozen visitors were issued tickets on charges of illegal parking or obstructing traffic last week. The park has been so busy that signs advising visitors that most parking areas are already at capacity have been posted between 10 and 10:30 a.m. nearly every day, rangers reported.

On July 17, rangers received a cell phone call that a visitor’s dog was stuck on a cliff on the Beehive Trail. By the time rangers were able to climb the cliffs trail, which features ladder rungs and iron bars in places, the caller and the dog were gone.

A 46-year-old man who was climbing on rocks near the bridge on the Otter Cove Causeway sustained head and shoulder injuries on July 18. According to reports, his movements dislodged a large rock that fell and hit him. Rangers provided first aid until Northeast Harbor Ambulance paramedics could arrive on the scene to take him to the MDI Hospital.

On July 19, rangers were called to the Jordan Pond House dormitory to investigate the reported theft of between $400 and $600 in cash from under a mattress. The investigation is ongoing, rangers said.

Rangers issued numerous written warnings to visitors for vehicles that did not display visible park passes last week.

On July 20, a man camping at Blackwoods Campground complained to rangers that someone at a nearby site was ruining the tranquility by operating an electrical generator. Rangers noted the unit was being operated within permissible hours.

An 11-year-old girl who got out of the chilly ocean water at Sand Beach on July 20 reported being unable to see and was experiencing nausea. Lifeguards administered first aid for possible hypothermia until paramedics from the Bar Harbor Fire Department could arrive.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.