Island Police: Gaming system griefer swindles over social media 

Southwest Harbor 

When an officer went to investigate a report of a broken window at a seasonal residence on Nov. 30 around 3:30 p.m., he found the window was not broken but it looked like it was from the road. According to the officer, the home was locked and secure.  

An officer closed a door to a residence that was reported open on Dec. 1 around 10 a.m. and contacted the owner to let them know. 

A man who recently moved to town called police on Dec. 2 just after 9:30 a.m. to report not receiving all of his belongings when the moving company delivered his property on Nov. 8. He told police he had already reported the incident to his insurance company and wanted to file a police report as well. 

When a resident was locked out of their home on Dec. 3 around 11:30 a.m., an officer helped them unlock the door.  

An Xbox purchase over social media turned out to be a scam, according to the woman who bought it for $400. She went to the police station around 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 3 to report being frauded during the online transaction for the video gaming system. 

An officer received a report of a dog loose on Rory’s Way around 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 3. After retrieving the dog, the officer contacted the owner and returned the dog to its home.  

Police received a report of an older model Ford truck with a box in the back driving erratically on Friday around 11 a.m. Officers were unable to find a truck matching the description.  

When Mickey Phippen, 59, of Trenton, swerved to avoid hitting a deer Friday around 11 a.m. on Marshall Brook Road, he ran into a boulder and turned the 1988 GMC truck he was driving onto its side. A wrecker was called to put the truck, which had about $800 worth of damageback on its tires. Phippen was not injured. 

A resident called police on Friday around 11:45 a.m. to report a phone scam they believed came from outside the United States. According to the person making the report, there was a package of documents being sent to them that required they pay a processing fee. The caller wanted police only to document the incident.  

On Friday around noon, an officer helped a property owner remove a tenant from their property. The owner requested an officer be present while the tenant removed their belongings.  

An officer helped the Bar Harbor Police Department in an investigation on Friday around 7:30 p.m. As a result, Dean Murphy, 61, of Southwest Harbor, was arrested on charges of violating his probation requirements.  

When an officer checked the area on Seawall Road where a dog was reported loose on Saturday around 9 a.m., he did not find the animal.  

High winds on Saturday caused one business’s sign to come loose. Another business owner reported the hanging sign to police around 4:30 p.m. out of concern that the sign might break a window or hit a car. Owners of the business with the broken sign were notified and were on their way to take the sign down. 

After police received an abandoned 911 call from a local business around 11 p.m. on Saturday, an officer went to the location and found everything to be OK.  

After police received a report of a tree down on Sunday around 3 a.m. in the area of Kings Lane and Shore Road, the fire department was dispatched to place cones for safety.  

Two dogs, described as brown-colored Mastiffs, were reported loose on Seawall Road in the area of the cable crossing on Sunday around 2:30 p.m. When an officer went to the area, no dogs were found.  

Police are investigating a report made by a resident around 7:45 p.m. on Sunday of medication being stolen from their apartment.  

An officer reported walking Main Street on Monday a little after 11 a.m. to inform people of the limitedtime parking allowed on the street.  

A dog bite was reported just before noon on Monday. According to the report, the dog owner’s child was bitten, causing minor injuries, but is up to date with shots. 

An officer helped the ambulance service Monday around 1:45 p.m. with a person having chest pains who was taken to the hospital.  


A deputy reported speaking with a resident on Nov. 18 around 10:30 a.m. regarding a family dispute involving property and items owned by their parents. 

A woman from town was issued a trespass notice not to return to a store after an employee reported an incident on Nov. 30 around 9 a.m. that she was involved in at the business.  

A man asked a deputy to escort him to a residence so he could collect his belongings on Dec. 7 around 8 a.m. 

Portland Police Department requested help with finding a woman from Trenton on Dec. 7 around 4:30 p.m. and a deputy reported attempting to do so. 

Bar Harbor 

Close to 1 a.m. on Dec. 1, an officer was advised of a downed tree across State Highway 3 in Bar Harbor. The officer located the tree and was able to clear it from the roadway. 

At 2:18 a.m. on Dec. 1, dispatch was advised of some damaged power lines near the intersection of Indian Point and Oak Hill roads. The lines were not interfering with traffic. The power company was notified of the issue. 

On Dec. 3 at 6:44 a.m., dispatch received a motor vehicle complaint. The vehicle was located but was not operating erratically at the time. 

A resident reported an open door at a neighboring house in the area of School Street at 7:03 a.m. on Dec. 1. An officer checked the area and found that the door had been blown open by the wind. 

On Dec. 1 at 9:32 a.m., resident reported a recurring issue of people driving the wrong direction on a one-way street. 

At 11:11 a.m. on Dec. 1, an officer provided traffic control on State Highway 3 after a tree came down on power lines. 

On Dec. 2 at 4:57 a.m., a motor vehicle crash was reported in Bar Harbor. The incident occurred on private property, thus it was not a reportable crash, but information was documented and exchanged between the involved parties. 

Jordan S. Crosby, 29, of Hancock, was traveling northward on State Highway 3 in Bar Harbor when a deer entered the roadway in front of the 2016 Nissan Rouge Crosby was operating. Crosby was unable to avoid a collision, and the deer died at the scene. The deer was later removed by Maine DOT. Reportable damage to the vehicle was sustained.  

A Route 3 resident reported finding a deceased deer on the side of road near their residence on Dec. 3 at 3:27 p.m. and asked to keep it. A deer tag was provided. 

At 9:56 p.m. on Dec. 3, a subject was warned for camping in public. 

On Friday at 3:07 p.m., a 2012 Chevrolet operated by John Sanders, 54, of Bar Harbor, was traveling north on Main Street in Bar Harbor and struck a legally-parked 2016 Mercedes owned by Bar Harbor Shuttle LLC. No injuries were reported and the vehicle damage was minor. 

At 5:14 p.m. on Friday, and officers assisted with traffic control for the Christmas parade in Bar Harbor. 

On Saturday at 5:46 p.m., Serkan Bekar, 23, of Northeast Harbor, was operating a 2004 BMW on Eagle Lake Road in Bar Harbor when the heavy rain led to hydroplaning, which caused the BMW to leave the roadwayBekar was uninjured, but there was damage to the undercarriage and rear of the vehicle and it was towed from the scene.  

At 6:09 a.m. on Sunday, Elliot Bagley, 31, of Ellsworth, was driving his 2012 Toyota Corolla, on Knox Road in Bar Harbor during snowfall and lost traction. The Corolla slid into a ditch, causing functional damage to the front passenger side. Bagley was uninjured.  

Mount Desert 

At 8:55 a.m. on Dec. 1, an officer assisted the U.S. Coast Guard with a vessel that had washed ashore after a storm. 

On Dec. 1 at 4:07 p.m., the Bar Harbor and Mount Desert police departments received a protection from abuse order to be served on an Otter Creek resident. 

On Dec. 2 at 5:28 a.m., a downed power line was reported in Mount Desert. The information was relayed to the power company and traffic cones were placed as a warning to motorists. 

A tree came down on power lines on Bartlett Landing road on Dec. 2. At 7:20 a.m., Versant power was dispatched to address it. 

At 8:29 a.m. on Dec. 2, a power line fell into the road on Indian Point Road. The Mount Desert Highway Department closed the road until the power company could respond. 

On Dec. 2 at 8:51 a.m., an officer checked on a resident who is part of the Good Morning program after they didn’t answer their daily morning phone call. The officer found that the phone line was dead due to a windstorm the night before and assisted the resident by contacting the phone company and arranging for a technician to fix the line. 

At 3:11 p.m. on Dec. 2, an officer served weapon’s restriction order notice of hearing on an Otter Creek resident. 

On Dec. 2 at 3:13 p.m., the Bar Harbor and Mount Desert police departments received a subpoena to be served on an Otter Creek resident. 

Officers responded to a report of suspicious activity in the area of a Seal Harbor residence on Dec. 2 at 10:24 p.m. Investigation revealed that utility workers were addressing a reported issue near the residence. 

At 10:59 a.m. on Dec. 3, a resident of Mount Desert reported that they were being harassed by another individual. After an investigation, both parties were told to have no further contact with one another. 

On Dec. 3 at 2:28 p.m., a caretaker called to report criminal trespass that occurred in June. There is a suspect and the case is under investigation. 

At 9:08 on Friday, Courtney L. Vashro, 42, of Northeast Harbor, was driving southward on State Highway 102 near Echo Lake when a large deer ran in front of her 2011 Toyota Tacoma, resulting in a collision that caused major damage to the Tacoma. No human injuries were reported. 

On Friday at 11:41 a.m., an elderly male with dementia walked into the police department, lost and disoriented. An officer spoked with the man while others called the man’s wife to come and pick him up.  

At 11:46 a.m. on Saturday, a person called into the police department asking for information about someone’s probation. 

A few minutes before 6 p.m. on Saturday, an officer responded to a report of a downed tree across Route 3 in Otter Creek. The officer was able to clear the tree from the road. 

An officer checked on a report of wires hanging down on Sargeant Drive in Northeast Harbor on Saturday at 7 p.m. A cone was placed under the low-hanging wire, where one lane of travel was still open, and the power company was notified. 

At 7:10 p.m. on Saturday, a report came in of trees leaning on the wires on Lower Dunbar Road in Seal Harbor. A responding officer located a large pine tree caught up in the wires and the road was down to one lane. The officer cleared the tree as the power company had already been notified. 

At 11:42 a.m. on Sunday, an officer checked on a vehicle that had been parked at the Northeast Harbor Marina for an extended period. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.