Island Police: Camper’s repo man finds dog attached 

Mount Desert 

While on patrol at 12:28 a.m. on Feb. 24, an officer came across a crash site where the motorist had fled the scene. No one came forward to report the crash. 

On Friday at 10:11 a.m., the police department was asked to do an extra patrol on a South Shore Road property. 

At 10:43 a.m. on Friday, an officer took a report of a dog tied up to a camper that was being repossessed. The owners came home to take care of the dog as they had not realized the camper would be repossessed that day. 

At 1:18 p.m. on Friday, an officer reviewed two found property cases that involved money. The owners are not known, and the money was placed in the department’s unclaimed property fund account. 

Close to 1 a.m. on Saturday, pursuant to a traffic stop in Hall Quarry, Charles Scott, 36, of Hall Quarry, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol and operating after suspension. He was bailed from Bar Harbor Police Department. 

On Sunday at 7:17 p.m., a Northeast Harbor resident called to report that her electric vehicle was stranded in the roadway on Rock End Road. The department provided her with a local tow company’s number. 

Southwest Harbor 

Police received a report of a Jeep Comanche off the road on Jody’s Acres around noon on Feb. 23. According to the report, the vehicle had minor damage to the right side front end and was pulled out by a wrecker. 

A traffic stop on Seal Cove Road around 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 23 resulted in Ernest Murphy, 62, of Southwest Harbor, being issued a summons on charges of operating after suspension and possession of a schedule W drug.  

After speaking with the caretaker of a 3 Rod Road residence on Feb. 24 around 7:30 a.m. in response to an alarm, an officer concluded the alarm was a false one.  

No one was injured in a collision at the intersection of Main Street and Clark Point Road on Feb. 25 around 10 a.m. A 2003 Chevrolet Blazer driven by Ralph Reed, 71, of Southwest Harbor, was turning onto Clark Point Road as a 2015 Dodge Ram, driven by Lorna Higgins, 51, of Dedham, was traveling north on Main Street. According to police, Reed was unable to see the oncoming truck because of sun glare. There was damage to the front bumper of the Ram and the Blazer had damage on the right front fender and wheel. Both vehicles were able to be driven from the accident.  

An older man was reported for trespassing on a family’s property on Saturday morning around 8 a.m. An officer warned the man for trespassing and asked him to find a different route of travel. 

An alarm set off at a local business on Saturday around 10:30 a.m. was accidentally set off by the cleaner, according to police. 

An alarm at a Seawall Road property was accidentally set off by the property’s caretaker on Saturday around 1:30 p.m. 

An officer stopped a vehicle on Bass Harbor Road around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday because of an obstructed license plate. A warning was given to the driver.  

Police were called to address a vehicle complaint at the Southwest Harbor Food Mart on Sunday around 7:30 p.m. According to the report, the vehicle was gone before the officer arrived.  

A debit card was found in an ATM in town and turned in to the police department on Monday around 7 a.m. After police contacted the owner of the card, it was retrieved from the station.  


A deputy recorded information regarding a report of theft on Feb. 25 around 1 p.m.  

An 86-year-old woman reported suspicious conditions involving her home phone line around 11:30 a.m. on Friday. When an officer spoke with her, the phone line was working and the two decided the woman’s handyman would reach out later in the week to discuss the phone problems.  


A deputy spoke with a resident regarding a fraud phone call around 4 p.m. on Feb. 24. According to the officer, no personal information had been shared and the incident was documented.  

Deputies were asked to assist officers from Ellsworth Police Department on Friday around 11 a.m. with conducting a search warrant on a home in town. It was served and the search was completed without incident, according to the report.  

Bar Harbor 

At 11:08 a.m. on Feb. 23, a dog was found wandering near the Fabbri Picnic Area in Acadia National Park and was dropped off at the police station. The dog’s owner retrieved it a short time later. 

On Feb. 23 at 3:46 p.m., a Bar Harbor employee reported identity theft that was used to file a false unemployment claim with the state. 

At 3:34 a.m. on Feb. 24, an officer spoke with a resident about suspicious noises within their apartment.  

A Bar Harbor resident came into the police station at 10:09 a.m. on Feb. 24 asking for help with a vehicle that parks on Maple Avenue and obstructs traffic. The officer determined that the vehicle in question was parked legally, but the vehicle’s owner agreed to help resolve the issue. 

At 2:04 p.m. on Feb. 24, officers responded to an unattended death at a Bar Harbor residence. The matter was not considered to be suspicious. 

The police department took a missing person’s report at 7:06 p.m. on Feb. 24. The individual was later located. 

On Feb. 25 around 9:30 a.m., a 2003 Buick Century operated by Daniel F. Tripp, 65, of Hulls Cove, was traveling eastward on State Highway 3 in the location of the Bluff when it crossed the center line and struck the guardrail, causing significant damage to the vehicle and minor damage to the guardrail.  

At 9:40 a.m. on Feb. 25, the police department took a complaint of a vehicle that was all over the road on Route 102 near the head of the island heading northward. All units were busy and out of position. The complainant followed the vehicle into Trenton where it pulled into a driveway. The information was passed on to the sheriff’s department. 

On Feb. 25 at 10:34 a.m., an officer responded to a parking complaint on Maple Avenue that stated a car was blocking traffic from turning onto Brewer Avenue. The officer arrived and found the vehicle to be parked legally and not obstructing traffic. 

The police department field a call on Feb. 25 at 11:12 a.m. saying there were two dogs in the road on West Street. A couple minutes later, another call came in saying the owner had arrived and removed the dogs. 

An officer assisted with traffic at the crosswalk on Eden Street for early school release on Feb. 25 at 11:20 a.m. 

On Friday at 6:40 p.m., a woman called the police department to say she had turned into the wrong driveway and had gotten stuck on ice. Island Towing responded with sand and assisted with getting her out. 

At 9:07 a.m. on Saturday, someone called in a report of a frost heave by 74 Cromwell Harbor Road that was posing a traffic hazard. An officer arrived and found a large heave in the southbound lane. Dispatch notified the highway department who came out and placed warning signs in the area. 

On Saturday at 7:09 p.m., an officer stood by to keep the peace between two family members. 

Close to 8 p.m. on Saturday, officers responded to a Town Hill residence after a man called to report there were people on his property who were trying to get into his vehicle. After an investigation, police reported that the call was unfounded and cleared it. 

At 12:19 a.m. on Sunday, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee operated by Jaques Taylor, 50, of Southwest Harbor, was traveling westbound on Eagle Lake Road when it hit some ice and went off the roadway, rolling onto its driver’s side and causing disabling damage. Taylor was uninjured and the Cherokee was towed from the scene. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.