Island Police: Boat versus kayak collision on Long Pond results in personal injury 

Mount Desert 

An officer had illegally parked vehicles moved near Little Long Pond at 8:34 a.m. on July 19.  

On July 19 at 2:40 p.m., a ring that had been found in Mount Desert some time ago was turned over to the Bar Harbor Police Department. 

Around 3:25 p.m. on July 19, a 2005 Nissan Sentra being operated by Adam Vazquez, 20, of Orono, was traveling northward on Sargeants Drive when it went off the roadway. Vazquez overcorrected and struck multiple coping stones, an action that caused the vehicle to roll over the embankment. The Sentra came to a rest upright on all four tires. Vazquez had minor injuries and the vehicle was towed. 

A few minutes after 1 p.m. on July 20, Mount Desert and Bar Harbor police officers, Mount Desert Fire Department and Northeast Harbor Ambulance responded to Long Pond in Somesville for a report of a boat vs. kayak crash that resulted in personal injury. This incident is being investigated by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. 

At 7:50 p.m. on July 20, officers responded to a report of people being disorderly. Before officers arrived at the scene, the parties had been separated and everything had “calmed down,” according to the police report. 

Officers received a complaint of suspicious activity at 8:08 a.m. on July 21. As a result, two men were warned for trespassing and for violating the camping-in-town ordinance. 

On July 21 around 6 p.m., Nicolas Strout, 22, of Tremont, was driving a 2011 Subaru Forester southbound on Main Street in Somesville. While slowing in traffic, Strout was struck from behind by a 2007 Honda Civic driven by William Connell, 26, of Ellsworth. The Forester sustained some minor rear bumper damage and the Civic had some damage on its front end and hood. Both vehicles were driven from the scene and there were no reported injuries. According to the police report, driver inattention and heavy traffic conditions are factors in the crash. 

On July 22 at 12:26 p.m., money that had been found on the pier in Northeast Harbor was turned into the police department for safekeeping. 

Around 4:48 p.m. on Friday, Antonia Cruz, 67, of Gaithersburg, Md., was trying to exit the rear parking lot of the Pine Tree Market when she lost control of her 2019 BMW SUV and struck a parked 2002 Chevrolet Suburban and a parked 2003 GMC pickup truck, both owned by Aaron Gray, 41, of Mount Desert. The BMW had to be towed due to disabling damage. Both of Gray’s vehicles sustained minor damage. There were no reported injuries. Members of the Mount Desert Fire Department and attendants from the Northeast Harbor Ambulance Service helped at the scene. 

An officer responded to Jordan Pond Road at 1:16 p.m. on Saturday for ongoing parking issues. The officer took pictures of the problem for documentation purposes and to try to come up with solutions for the future. 

A bicycle that had been left in the Northeast Harbor Marina area was brought to the police station around 4 p.m. on Saturday.  

At 1:40 a.m. on Sunday, an officer assisted the Mount Desert Fire Department for a fire alarm going off in Mount Desert. It was found out to have been set off accidentally from a “cooking error,” according to the police report. 

Following a traffic stop on Sunday at 2:24 a.m., a man was arrested on suspicion of operating under the influence. Upon further testing, the subject was deemed not impaired, but he was issued a summons for operating a motor vehicle on an interim license. 

An officer responded to a call about suspicious activity in Mount Desert at 3:06 a.m. Sunday that turned out to be a man lost in the woods who needed a ride home. 

Bar Harbor 

At 5:27 a.m. on July 19, the police received a report of a deer that had been struck by a vehicle being injured but still alive. When an officer arrived at the scene, the deer was dead and the vehicle that had struck it was gone. 

On July 19 at 9:47 a.m., the police department got a 911 call regarding a road rage incident. An officer spoke with both parties involved and warned one for his behavior. 

An officer gave three people a ride to Southwest Harbor at 1:09 a.m. on July 20.  

At 11:02 a.m. on July 20, a 2007 Toyota Matrix driven by Russell Reynolds, 75, of Hudson, and a 1988 international box truck driven by Moses King, 45, of Howland, were traveling northward on Route 3. When they came upon the merge area where drivers take turns merging, Reynolds’ vehicle crossed the center line slightly into oncoming traffic to get around King’s truck, and the two vehicles struck. There were no injuries. The Matrix had reportable damage to its passenger side and the truck got damaged on its driver-side corner and side wheel.  

An officer warned two men for littering on July 20 at 1:52 p.m. 

On July 20 at 2:48 p.m., a 2014 Dodge Ram driven by Jason Alley, 34, of Southwest Harbor, and a 2008 Infiniti G35 driven by Dave Bernard, 39, of Bar Harbor, were involved in a crash on Kennebec Street when Alley pulled up to the right to back up into a driveway and Bernard kept going. No one was injured. The Ram sustained damage to its rear passenger corner and the Infiniti was damaged on its front passenger side. 

At 4:10 p.m. on July 20, Landen Scott, 22, of Maine, driving a 2010 Ford F150, was pulling from a parking spot. While trying to avoid a delivery truck that was parked on Rodick Place, Scott’s right rear bumper rubbed up against a parked 2018 Chevy SUV, owned by Alan Walker, 31, of Pennsylvania. Scott was not injured and his truck had no visible damage, but the SUV had some minor rear fender/bumper damage. 

On July 20 around 11:09 p.m., as a result of a traffic stop, Mark Woodstock, 27, of Montego Bay, Jamaica, was summonsed for criminal speed. 

An officer responded to a noise complaint at 12:45 a.m. on July 21. The noise was coming from skateboards and the officer asked the skaters to move along. 

A woman turned in a wallet at 6:42 a.m. on July 21 that she had found in the parking lot of a hiking trail on Route 102.  

On July 21 at 6:46 a.m., a 2013 Chevrolet Avalon operated by Brenda Landry, 60, of Bar Harbor, was stopped at a stop light when it was rear ended by a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo driven by Darcy Kerr, 22, of Bar Harbor. According to the police log, Kerr cited a mechanical issue to be the cause of the crash. There were no injuries and both vehicles sustained only minor damage.  

The police department received a 911 abandoned call transfer at 1:01 p.m. on July 21 from Hancock RCC plotting in the area of Paradise Hill Road in Acadia National Park. The call was transferred to park officials for a response. 

An officer served a Bar Harbor resident with a protection order at 3:38 p.m. on July 21. 

An officer assisted with the removal of unruly campers from a local campground at 8:55 a.m. on July 22.  

Close to 5 p.m. on July 22, an officer went to Knox Road after a report came in about a dog roaming on the road. The dog was found and brought back to the police department and its owner came later to get it. 

At 7:43 p.m. on July 22, someone called the station to see if a “large sum of money” had been turned in, according to the police report. The caller had lost the money earlier in the day. The man was told that no money had been turned in, so the caller was going to go look for it where he had last seen it. An officer was flagged down minutes later by the same caller who said he had found his money in the street and added that it had been there all day. 

On Friday at 12:45 a.m., pursuant to a traffic stop, Sierra Sinclair, 24, of Bar Harbor, was arrested on a criminal arrest warrant and was taken to Hancock County Jail. 

An officer responded to Main Street in Bar Harbor at 10:16 p.m. on Friday for a report of children locked inside a vehicle. The children were not in distress. The parents were outside the vehicle and had gotten locked out. A wrecker service was called, but before it arrived, the parents found a key fob and were able to open the doors. 

At 5:45 p.m. on Saturday, a 2015 Nissan Juke driven by Philip Payne, 48, of Gouldsboro, was traveling northward on State Highway 3 in the left lane and stopped at the traffic light. When he went to merge, he failed to see a 2011 Subaru Impreza driven by Rebecca Lincoln, 24, of Chester, N.H., in the right lane and struck the driver’s side of her vehicle. No one was injured, but both vehicles sustained minor damage. Both vehicles could be driven from the scene.  

On Sunday at 12:38 a.m., Artemie Amari, 24, of New York, was arrested on a charge of operating under the influence.  

A call came into the police department at 1:05 a.m. on Sunday about a possible fight that was happening in town. When officers went to the scene, they didn’t find anything. 

On Sunday at 1:40 a.m., officers responded to a report of two vehicles stopped in the road on Eden Street, the occupants of which were engaged in an argument.  

Cooper S. Henderson, 23, of Hancock, was charged with violation of conditions of release at 1:54 a.m. on Sunday. 

Close to 11 p.m. on Sunday, a resident reported unusual blinking lights coming from the head of their driveway. An officer checked the area and checked on the caller and did not find anything out of the ordinary. 

As of 9:48 a.m. on Monday, an officer is investigating a report of employee theft and vandalism. 

After an investigation, on Monday at 12:40 p.m., George Seavey, 50, of Bar Harbor, was summonsed for harassment. 

Around 8:30 p.m. on Monday, a Bar Harbor firefighter called the police department to say that there was a man out front of the public safety building screaming and swearing, saying something about, “she stole my dog,” according to the police log. When an officer arrived, the man was sitting on the ground near the flagpole, still “hollering and swearing.” The man was upset that he could not locate the woman who had his dog. The officer asked him to quiet down and gave him a verbal disorderly conduct warning. 

Following a call about suspicious activity in the town of Bar Harbor on Monday close to 10 p.m., Tracy R. Buzzell, 55, of Bar Harbor, was charged with violating conditions of release. 

Numerous accidental and abandoned 911 calls were handled by the police department this week. 

Southwest Harbor 

A trespassing juvenile was reported to police on July 20 around 9:30 a.m. According to police, the young man entered an organization several times without paying for the services offered there. The organization requested public service be an option for payment. 

Around noon on July 20, the police received a wellbeing request regarding a man lying on the steps of a church in Tremont. When an officer arrived, the man was sitting up and said he was just resting after working. 

A parking problem on Herrick Road and Main Street was reported around 1:30 p.m. on July 20. When an officer arrived in the area, the vehicle was gone. 

Having collected enough, a local business brought a stack of lost credit cards, belonging to different people, to the police department on July 20 around 4:45 p.m. They were placed in the department’s lost and found.  

A woman called the police station around 9 p.m. on July 20 asking to speak with an officer about being harassed by a former employer. 

An officer responded to a report of a domestic dispute between a husband and wife on McEnroe Road around 4:30 a.m. on July 21. After investigating, Brittany Shea, 32, of Southwest Harbor, was arrested on charges of domestic violence assault and violating conditions of release. Shea was taken to Hancock County Jail. 

A small purse found on Main Street was brought to dispatch around 6:15 p.m. on July 21. 

Due to bail conditions, an officer provided an escort for a spouse who was picking up belongings at their house around 6:30 p.m. on July 21. 

A business in town called police around 7:15 a.m. on July 22 to report a theft that was caught on video camera. As a result, Timothy Wiggins, 39, of Tremont, was issued a summons for theft. Wiggins was issued a second summons for theft later that day when another business in town called to report a theft that happened previously.  

Police received a burglar alarm at a business on Seawall Road around noon on July 22. The owner had accidentally set it off. 

A lost license was reported to police around 1:30 p.m. on July 22 and a lost wallet reported a couple of hours later. Neither had not been turned into police at the time they were reported. 

Hancock County Regional Communication Center requested an officer be sent to a report of noise in Tremont around 9 p.m. on Friday. A deputy with the sheriff’s office arrived a short time later.  

A purse and a child’s jacket were turned into police around 8:30 a.m. on Saturday. The owner of the purse was contacted and it is being mailed back to them. 

Police are investigating a report made on Saturday around 5 p.m. of vandalism to the portable toilets at the art show. 

A woman called police around 6:45 p.m. on Saturday from Echo Lake with a flat tire, asking for help with contacting a towing company. 

A tree partially blocking Clark Point Road was reported around 7:30 a.m. on Sunday. Members of the town’s volunteer fire department responded and cleared the tree from the road. 

Two vehicles had to be towed from an accident near the Echo Lake Beach entrance on Sunday around 11 a.m. A 2020 Hyundai Elantra driven by Sourav Chatterjee, 33, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., was stopped on Route 102 and preparing to turn into the beach entrance when a 2021 Kia Sportage driven by Steven Davis, 41, of Frenchboro, rear ended it. Each vehicle had a passenger and all occupants were checked out by emergency responders from Southwest Harbor-Tremont Ambulance Services. No injuries were serious enough to need medical care. 

Fireworks going off in the area of Gott’s Store were reported around 9 p.m. on Monday. The caller said it has happened multiple times this month. 


An investigation is underway regarding several road signs being damaged. A report was made to the sheriff’s office on July 21 around 1 p.m. After initially investigating, an officer determined the signs had been spray painted and run over.  

Gregory Gilley, 33, of Surry, was arrested around 3:45 p.m. on July 21 on charges of violating bail conditions.  

A report of vandalism was made on Friday around 2 p.m. 

Deputies responded to a home for a report of a disorderly situation around 9 p.m. on Friday. When they arrived, everything was calm and no law enforcement action was necessary. Southwest Harbor Police Department assisted on the call.  

No injuries were reported after a 2017 Volkswagen Beetle, driven by Christine Sidorski, 29, of New Jersey, collided with a deer on Harbor Drive around 6 p.m. on Saturday. An Acadia National Park ranger who was on duty in the area shot the deer due to the extent of its injuries. By the time a deputy with the sheriff’s department arrived, Sidorski had left the area.  

A man called the sheriff’s department to report a family in the apartment adjacent to his were involved in a verbal confrontation around 4 p.m. on Sunday. While a deputy was responding to the call, the man called again to report all the people involved in the confrontation had left the area. 


After finding a syringe on the side of Goose Cove Road, a man called the sheriff’s office around 11:30 a.m. on July 22 to report it. An officer went to the location, retrieved the syringe and disposed of it at the sheriff’s office.  

An officer spoke with a 59-year-old woman about a theft at her rental property on July 22 around 1 p.m. Information was documented at her request. 

A prowler outside a home was reported by the man who lived there around 3:45 a.m. on Sunday. When an officer responded to the area, he didn’t find anyone or anything suspicious. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.