Distracted driver has close call with telephone pole


No one was injured in a single car accident on Route 3 around 11 a.m. on April 14. Joseph Parsons, 45, of Trenton, was driving a 2008 Toyota Prius northbound. As it neared the intersection of Jordan River Road, the car drifted off the right side of the road. When it did, it struck a curb and then a wooden fence. There was reportable damage to the front end of the Prius. No reason for the accident was stated in the report.   

According to police reports, a woman was taken to the hospital around 8:45 p.m. on April 14 after the vehicle she was driving ran into a telephone pole, snapping the pole in half. Erika Sargent, 30, of Ellsworth, told police she was distracted with her cell phone when the 1999 Toyota Rav4 she was driving crossed the center line of Route 3 and went into a ditch on the opposite side of the road. There, the Rav4 hit the telephone pole, snapping it in half, and came to a rest in the wet marsh area. Bystanders helped get Sargent out of the vehicle. She had minor cuts on her face and reported pain around her head and chest area. Sargent was wearing her seatbelt and the airbags of the Rav4 were deployed. The vehicle had to be towed from the accident. Bar Harbor police, ambulance and fire departments, as well as the Trenton Fire Department, all helped at the scene.   

Bar Harbor Police Department requested help from the Sheriff’s Office in finding a 29-year-old man from Surry who had been involved in a disturbance around 9 a.m. on Sunday. As deputies were set to respond, they were notified that their help was no longer needed.  

A man called the sheriff’s office around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday to report that he thought his vehicle had been stolen. According to the report, it was found that the vehicle was not stolen. 

An officer reported helping the Maine Coast Memorial Hospital on Monday around 3:30 p.m. to get some paperwork signed by a justice of the peace. Once the papers were signed, the officer returned them to the hospital.  

Southwest Harbor 

Squatters living in a local residence on Hadlock Lane were reported on April 13 around 11 a.m. Police are investigating the situation. 

A woman walking on Main Street who looked like she had a black eye was reported around 2 p.m. on April 13. When police responded to the area, the woman wasn’t found and no identity for her had been provided.  

An unruly customer was reported by someone at a local business on Main Street on April 13 around 5 p.m. Police spoke to both the customer and the business representative and the problem was resolved.  

An officer responded to a suicidal person around 5 p.m. on April 14. According to the report, after speaking with the officer, the person decided life was worth living.  

A fire on Cedar Lane was reported at 4 a.m. on April 15. When officers arrived, they found a resident on the street had built a campfire on their property. 

A resident came to the police station around 4 p.m. on April 15 to report being harassed by an employee of a business. They were looking to have the information documented only. 

A man from Lamoine called police on Friday around 10:30 a.m. to report a burglary and items stolen from a property he owns in Southwest Harbor. Police are investigating the report. 

Police checked on a woman in Tremont just before 1 a.m. on Saturday at the request of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office. When she was called, the woman said she was fine but would reach out if she needed anything. That information was passed along to the sheriff’s office. 

At the request of the sheriff’s office, an officer went by a local residence around 2 a.m. on Saturday to find two people, a man and woman, because it was believed they had left the scene of an accident in Dedham. The couple was found by the officer. 

An officer contacted a resident at 3 a.m. on Saturday to notify them of a family emergency.  

Police are investigating a report of a stolen vehicle made around 10 a.m. on Saturday. 

Theft from a shed at a residence on Ridge Acres Lane was reported around 11 a.m. on Sunday.  

Around 5:45 p.m. on Sunday, a woman came to the police station to report a violation of a protection order. After police investigated the matter, they found no violation. 

Police received a report of a dog on the loose on Seawall Road around 7 a.m. on Monday. After the owner was found, the dog was returned.  


Items were found on the road in town on April 13 around 7 a.m. An officer contacted the owners of the items and returned them. 

A report of trespassing was made on April 15 around noon. After investigating the matter further, an officer found it to be a civil matter and no law enforcement action was taken. 

Violation of a protection order was reported on April 15 around 12:15 p.m. An officer determined there was no basis for the report. 

A resident called the sheriff’s office on Friday around 11:30 p.m. with questions about the laws regarding firearms.  

Bar Harbor 

On April 13 at 5:47 a.m., a report came in of a dead deer in the roadway on Schooner Head Road. The deer appeared to have been struck by a vehicle. No one on the deer call list wanted it, so the Bar Harbor Highway Department removed the carcass. 

A man came into the station to surrender his driver’s license on April 13 at 9:44 a.m. 

The police department took a complaint of speeding motorists on Cromwell Harbor Road at 4:37 p.m. on April 13.  

At 9:16 p.m. on April 13, officers responded to a verbal domestic dispute in Bar Harbor and separated the involved parties for the night. 

On April 14 at 10:41 a.m., an officer picked up some litter that had been left on the side of the road. 

The police department fielded a 911 call made close to 11 a.m. on April 14. Dispatch spoke to a desk clerk at a local motel who said the call was made by mistake.  

At 2:21 p.m. on April 14, officers spoke to two men who were trespassing at a residence on State Highway 3. The men were warned for criminal trespass and were moved along. 

An officer took a call of a suspicious man near the grade school in Bar Harbor at 7:40 a.m. on April 15. 

At 11:21 a.m. on April 15, the police department received a 911 call from Otter Creek. Contact was made with the caller who said they mistakenly hit the emergency call button on the phone. 

On April 15 at 8:24 p.m., an officer spoke to a visitor from Florida in reference to sex offender registry requirements in Maine. 

A local resident called the police department at 7:15 a.m. on Saturday to ask them to keep an eye on a building construction site in town where a large amount of building materials had been deposited. 

At 8:44 a.m. on Saturday, a caller reported a loose dog on their property. The dog’s owner was contacted and made aware of the issue. 

At 10:49 a.m. on Saturday, a 2015 Volkswagen Golf operated by Laura Heitman Berry, 26, of Bar Harbor, was traveling westward on State Highway 3 near the Hulls Cove entrance to Acadia National Park Visitor Center. Berry was unfamiliar with the road area and started to make a left turn too soon and failed to see the 2011 Hyundai, driven by Susan E. Dickinson, 62, of Surry, traveling eastward, and the vehicle struck the Hyundai’s front end. Both vehicles were towed due to damage and, according to the police report, Dickinson sustained a possible leg injury. 

On Saturday at 12:27 p.m., a local resident reported that she saw a neighbor cut down a tree that she thought might not belong to him. The officer looked around the area but did not see any issues. 

At 6:27 p.m. on Saturday, a woman walked into the Bar Harbor Police Department to ask if they could take a report for the police department in Laguna Niguel, Calif. 

Close to 8 p.m. on Saturday, two hikers called the police department to say they were lost in Acadia National Park. Dispatch notified the park service, who sent rangers to the area. The couple walked out of the woods on their own. 

Mount Desert 

Pursuant to a traffic stop at 6:05 a.m. on April 14, Brady Abbott, 38, of Orland, was summonsed on a charge of operating under suspension. 

At 8:03 a.m. on April 15, dispatch received a motor vehicle complaint. Limited information on the suspect vehicle was available, but extra patrols were conducted in the area. 

On April 15 at 3:17 p.m., a Seal Harbor resident called the police department to say that her dog had run off, but she called back a short time later to say the dog had returned. 

At 5:21 p.m. on April 15, officers responded to a report of two vehicles possibly racing on Sound Drive. 

On Friday at 8:18 p.m., a Mount Desert resident called to report lights in the driveway of her residence. Officers responded and found the reporting party’s vehicle idling in the driveway. Contact was made with the caller and it was learned that they had mistakenly left their vehicle there while taking care of a garbage can. No further action was taken. 

At 10:41 p.m. on Friday, an officer spoke to an out-of-state law enforcement agency that was looking for information on a subject of interest in an investigation they were conducting. Mount Desert Police Department did not have any criminal conduct reports referencing the individual they were inquiring about. 

On Saturday at 12:54 p.m., an officer took a report of a vehicle that was “all over the road” in Somesville. 

At 9:54 a.m. on Sunday, as a result of an investigation, Dean Murphy, 61, of Southwest Harbor, was arrested and charged with domestic violence assault and transported to the Hancock County Jail. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.