‘Bomb’ lacks any real boom



Police in Southwest Harbor say this “device” was a fake bomb left as a prank. The investigation included local and state police, the FBI, the state fire marshal’s office and emergency officials. PHOTO COURTESY OF SWHPD

Police in Southwest Harbor say this “device” was a fake bomb left as a prank. The investigation included local and state police, the FBI, the state fire marshal’s office and emergency officials.
PHOTO COURTESY OF SWHPD

SOUTHWEST HARBOR — The state fire marshal’s office has determined that a crude bomb-like device left Oct. 22 in a municipal parking lot was fake, according to interim police chief Mike Miller.

“It was a prank aimed at one individual,” Miller said.

Law enforcement officials have spoken with the two people involved. They are “embarrassed and remorseful,” Miller said.

The fire marshal’s office, after conferring with the Hancock County district attorney’s office, has decided not to file charges, Miller said.

Public works employees discovered the device at the Lower Town Dock while on their morning rounds. Suspicious, they alerted Southwest Harbor police, who then called in the Maine State Police bomb squad, the fire marshal’s office and the Hancock County Emergency Management Agency.

The Clark Point Road was closed to traffic from Dirigo Road to the U.S. Coast Guard base for several hours as the bomb squad examined and then detonated the device using an explosive charge.

Miller said he would like to thank all the agencies that assisted in the investigation. They include, along with the previously mentioned agencies, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Southwest Harbor Fire Department and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.