‘Bomb’ inquiry continues



Southwest Harbor Police and Maine Fire Marshals are looking for the owner of this pickup truck with cap seen near where a fake bomb was discovered on the Lower Town Dock in late October. PHOTO COURTESY TOWN OF SWH

Southwest Harbor Police and Maine Fire Marshals are looking for the owner of this pickup truck with cap seen near where a fake bomb was discovered on the Lower Town Dock in late October. PHOTO COURTESY TOWN OF SWH

SOUTHWEST HARBOR — More than three weeks after a bomb scare closed down an area near the Lower Town Dock and nearby streets, investigators have yet to find the suspect who placed the device.

Acting police chief Mike Miller said Wednesday that surveillance video of the dock shows a dark-colored full-size pickup truck leaving the scene. Investigators, however, have been unable to identify the vehicle or driver, he said.

The state fire marshal’s office also is involved in the case. Sergeant Tim York declined comment, saying only that it remains an ongoing investigation. He would not confirm whether the “bomb” was real or a hoax.

Public works employees discovered the device – described as a small propane cylinder with wires coming out of it and running into a one-gallon bucket that had been duct-taped to the cylinder – during the morning of Oct. 22. The workers alerted Southwest Harbor police, who then called in the Maine State Police bomb squad, the fire marshal’s office and the Hancock County Emergency Management Agency.

The Clark Point Road was closed to traffic from Dirigo Road to the U.S. Coast Guard base for several hours as the bomb squad examined and then detonated the device using an explosive charge. Reports at the time were that the device was determined to be a fake because there was no secondary explosion.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *