Candidate busted in sign chicanery

BAR HARBOR — One of the five candidates for two open seats on the Bar Harbor Town Council reportedly was caught moving another candidate’s campaign sign Saturday, 11 days before the vote in next week’s elections.

Nicholas MacCulloch, 23, was summonsed on a charge of unlawful removal of political signs, a civil violation, after a police officer reportedly saw him pick up a “Nate Young for Town Council” sign on the grass triangle at the corner of Eden Street and West Street around 7 p.m.

MacCullouch later apologized to Young, according to reports, and said he was not trying to damage the sign, only to move it so he would not see it on his way to work.

Police searched a School Street residence May 30. They had received a warrant to do so based on information about alleged illegal drug activity there. The matter is still under investigation.

Jeremy Beal, 24, of Ellsworth was reportedly driving his Jeep Cherokee Friday evening on Route 3 when the Jeep left the roadway due to an “unintended acceleration.” No injuries were reported, but the vehicle was damaged extensively.

Julianna Cleaves, 18, of Bar Harbor was driving east on Schooner Head Road the evening of May 31 when a medical issue reportedly caused her to lose control of the vehicle, which then went off the road. The vehicle was towed, and Cleaves had minor injuries, police said.

Philip Hanby, 52, of Wynantskill, N.Y., was backing into a parking spot on Cottage Street Friday morning when his vehicle reportedly struck a lamp post and sustained minor damage.

Jared Buxton, 30, of Stonington was arrested early Saturday morning on Route 3 near downtown on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI).

Coleman Fernald, 20, of Bar Harbor was arrested Saturday night on a charge of OUI (drugs).

A woman stopped by police for a broken taillight early Saturday morning was arrested on suspicion of OUI. She was released after a breathalyzer test reportedly indicated her blood-alcohol content did not exceed the legal limit.

Lt. David Kerns warned two people digging bloodworms in mudflats off Route 3 Friday not to have contact with each other. They were involved in an ongoing harassment complaint, according to reports.

Harbormaster Charlie Phippen retrieved two people stranded on Bar Island by a rising tide Friday morning.

A passenger bus reportedly bottomed out and became stuck at the intersection of Eden Street and Highbrook Road the evening of May 31. Police assisted with traffic while the bus was freed by a tow truck.

Sgt. Christopher Wharff spoke with two men reportedly removing coins from the fountain in Agamont Park around 11 p.m. June 1. They returned the change to the fountain, he said.

Police responded to reports that a sailboat mast was partially blocking the roadway on Norway Drive the evening of June 1. The boat reportedly had just been delivered. Police helped the owner mark the temporary hazard with sawhorses and a bucket so motorists could see it better.

Police responded to reports of a turtle in the travel way on the Crooked Road Friday evening. It was safely off the road when officers arrived, and the town’s animal control officer was notified.

Notices were left on two vehicles last week for being parked on a public street for more than 72 hours. One person was warned for sleeping in a vehicle in a public place.

Southwest Harbor

Residents might feel like they’re in Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds” after seeing the calls that came into police this week.

On June 2, a resident reported an “unusual number of crows on Main Street.” The other incidents were less ominous.

On Friday, a resident called police to say a bird flew through a window into their home and landed on a friend’s shoulder to rest before flying away. Described as a pigeon, the amiable avian showed up Saturday inside a business. In both cases, the bird was gone when police arrived.

Mount Desert

A Waltham woman escaped injury Monday when a wheel came off her car while driving on Route 3 near Little Long Pond.

Katherine Jordan, 20, was eastbound in a 2000 Buick when the wheel came off. The car was towed from the scene.

The driver of a Fairpoint Communications truck Monday backed into a stationary pickup truck on Route 198.

James Harmon, 41, of Surry was driving the 2008 Ford F450 utility truck that backed into a 2013 Ford driven by Andrew Pooler, 28, of Southwest Harbor. There was no reportable damage to the utility truck; Pooler’s pickup sustained an estimated $5,000 in damage.

A Somesville resident reported Monday finding something resembling explosives in an old car. The items turned out to be road flares.

A child’s bicycle was reported stolen Monday from a playground in Otter Creek.

Police failed to locate June 1 the person responsible for aiming a laser pointer from the shore of Northeast Harbor at a boat leaving the harbor around 1 a.m.


A single-vehicle accident here resulted in the arrest of an Ellsworth woman on a drunk driving charge.

Amanda Goff, 21, was arrested on a charge of OUI. Goff was not injured in the crash. The Trenton Fire Department assisted the sheriff’s department at the scene.

A California woman was arrested Friday after she reportedly crossed the centerline on Route 3 and nearly struck an oncoming vehicle.

Misti Kessler, 53, of Santa Ana was arrested on a charge of driving to endanger. She was taken to the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth and later released on bail.

A 22-year-old Bar Harbor man was arrested Friday following a traffic stop.

Tyler Farnsworth was arrested on a charge of OUI.

A resident was warned Saturday after a neighbor complained her livestock were being harassed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.