Traffic backed up on Route 3 in Trenton following an accident Friday afternoon. PHOTO BY KEVIN WALTON

Man flees Trenton crash, arrested in Bangor

TRENTON — An Ellsworth man who ran from the scene of an accident on Route 3 Friday later was arrested in Bangor following a foot chase that ensued when police stopped him while he was allegedly driving a stolen car. The crash, involving multiple vehicles, shut down the road for nearly two hours.

Greg Gilley, 27, is facing charges that include leaving the scene of a property damage accident, driving to endanger, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and four bail violations. Gilley also was placed on a probation hold and arrested on a warrant charging him with failure to appear in court.

According to police, Gilley’s operation of a pickup truck Friday afternoon led to a three-vehicle crash that close Route 3 for hours. Gilley reportedly pulled out of a dirt road near the Acadia Zoo and headed toward Ellsworth.

Gregory Gilley

Gregory Gilley

“He was operating erratically, spinning and squealing his tires,” said Lt. Chris Thornton of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department. Sensing an impending collision, a driver traveling in the oncoming lane came to an abrupt stop. A truck and trailer owned by NewLand Nursery and Landscaping in Ellsworth then rear-ended that vehicle, which was driven by a North Carolina resident. Gilley’s truck also struck the NewLand vehicle, causing that truck and trailer to wedge itself between the guardrails on both sides of the road.

“That’s what caused the gridlock,” Thornton said of the delay in opening the road to traffic.

The road was closed for nearly two hours during a peak commuting time. Northbound traffic backed through Trenton to the Trenton bridge and back more than two additional miles on Route 3 in Bar Harbor.

Gilley allegedly left the crash scene, eventually ending up at the nearby Bar Harbor Golf Course where he allegedly stole a 1999 Jeep Cherokee belonging to a golfer. The keys were in the Jeep but not in the ignition, Thornton said.

Upon learning of the stolen vehicle, the sheriff’s department notified other law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for the Jeep. Bangor police spotted the vehicle and pulled it over. Gilley again tried to avoid capture, leading officers on a foot chase, Thornton said. A Bangor officer outran the Ellsworth man and took him into custody around 7:45 p.m.

Gilley, who was injured during the accident, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center and treated for injuries that are not considered life-threatening, Thornton said.

Also injured in the Trenton accident was Christopher Lane, the sole passenger in Gilley’s truck.

Mark Good

Mark Good

Reporter at Mount Desert Islander
Mark Good

Latest posts by Mark Good (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.