Acadia annual pass sale begins



Surf's up at Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park.  EXTRA PHOTO BY EARL BRECHLIN

Surf’s up at Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park.
PHOTO BY EARL BRECHLIN

BAR HARBOR — Want to save more than 50 percent off the cost of getting into Acadia National Park next year?

The Acadia annual pass sale will be held from Dec. 1 through Dec. 30, at the winter visitor center at park headquarters on the Eagle Lake Road, Route 233. Annual passes will be sold at half price for just $20, and must be obtained in person and paid by cash, check, or major credit card. No phone orders will be taken. The winter visitor center will be open every day except Dec. 24, 25, and 31, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Not only is the discount a savings, after Jan. 1 of 2015 the fee increases to $50.

The annual passes will also be available for $20 at the Mount Desert, Tremont, and Gouldsboro town offices and the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce from Dec. 1 through Dec. 31. Again, no phone orders will be taken.

Acadia annual passes will also be sold for $20 at the annual Bar Harbor Village Holidays & Midnight Madness Sale on Dec. 5, from 8 p.m. to midnight, at the Acadia information site located on the Village Green.

Annual passes are only offered in the form of the wallet card pass. This change conforms to the NPS standard for entrance passes and increases the convenience to bicyclists and pedestrians. Once signed on the back, annual passes are non-transferable. Photo identification will be requested to verify ownership upon entry to the park.

Acadia National Park annual passes are valid for one year from the month of purchase. The annual pass is part of the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, which enables the park to retain 80 percent of fees collected through sales of passes and the collection of entrance fees. These funds pay for needed repairs and projects to improve visitor services and facilities, such as the accessible trail on top of Cadillac Mountain. The remaining 20 percent benefits all National Park Service Call 207-288-3338, extension 2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *